New bridge day on Eagle Creek?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

New bridge day on Eagle Creek?

Post by squidvicious » October 23rd, 2019, 4:27 pm

As I was finishing a hike in the gorge this afternoon, I heard the distinctive THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP of a giant Chinook(?) helicopter headed east through the gorge. I assumed they must finally be getting the new bridges in on Eagle Creek, which they'd talked about for last month before the weather went all weird.

I've been checking the news sites and the twitters for some confirmation that this did actually happen today, but come up with nothing. Any news?

justpeachy

Re: New bridge day on Eagle Creek?

Post by justpeachy » October 23rd, 2019, 8:15 pm

I saw a tweet this morning. It said something about how the last work crew was finishing up now that we're heading into the rainy season, and it mentioned something about bridge installations, as well as the usual "we can't tell you when this trail will re-open" disclaimer. I can't find that tweet now, so they must have deleted it for some reason.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 24th, 2019, 7:09 am

They may be concerned that if it were known that one or more new bridges were in place, it would attract some hikers who want to examine the new bridges, out of curiosity, or bravado, or to brag they hiked Eagle Creek sooner than everyone else. People can be like that.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 25th, 2019, 10:04 am

A tweet from today: https://twitter.com/crgnsa/status/1187789167343718400
2 bridges were flown onto Eagle Creek Trail this week, but it remains closed as we finish installing them, clearing rockfall, and fixing narrow sections. ⚠Trail remains CLOSED & violators face fines or jail. No timeline for reopening yet. go.usa.gov/xpa9r

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 25th, 2019, 10:45 am

Just saw that tweet and was coming here to update, thanks!

(fyi for others, the tweet includes a little video snippet of the lift and a couple pics, fun to check out)