Ridgeline Hikes

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
ChromaKey

Ridgeline Hikes

Post by ChromaKey » August 26th, 2019, 11:43 am

Hey everyone! New member to the forum here. I am a professional photographer who recently got back from a trip to Switzerland. I backpacked for two weeks straight, and it was amazing. One of the best of the best trails was the notorious Hardergrat hike, climbing and following the ridgeline north of Interlaken for almost 30km. There were some very precarious parts where the trail, about a foot wide, dropped off hundreds of meters to either side. It was a rush!
Switzerland-18.jpg
Now that I'm back, I want more. In my limited research I've found only a couple options like that around here: Table Mountain approaching from the north (with an annoyingly long approach because of the 2017 trailhead closure) and the Kendall Katwalk trail near Snoqualmie Pass. (and while I would love to thru-hike the whole PCT trail section there, with trains and SAC alphüttes not being a thing here, like in Switzerland, it makes prohibitively difficult even for a long weekend trip)

Are there any other more hikes around here, obscure or otherwise, that have this ridgeline feature? Perhaps something up in Olympic NP? Maybe something in Silver Star? I've done Pinnacle Peak by Rainier, which was pretty nice... What else is out there? I'm willing to do a bit of driving to get there.
Last edited by ChromaKey on August 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cfm

Re: Ridgeline Hikes

Post by cfm » August 26th, 2019, 11:58 am

Goat Island Mountain in MRNP has a wonderful ridgetop ramble. It's not sketchy, but the approach and descent on either ends of the ridge are offtrail scrambles.

Many choices in the Wallowas, it's even referred to as the "Switzerland of Oregon". See for example that cool recent post from B2BB. My favorite Wallowas ridgewalk is Dollar Ridge. Going to try Washboard Ridge above Bear Creek next weekend.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 26th, 2019, 11:59 am

Kendall Katwalk is day-hikable, and it's pretty cool, but it's NOT a ridgeline hike. The Katwalk itself is not very long, and it's on a slope.

Check out the Wenatchee Mountains north of the North Fork Teanaway River, around Earl Peak, Bean Peak, and Navaho Peak. There are a lot of off-trail ridges up there connecting the peaks. Just to the west, Longs Pass to Ingalls Pass is another nice ridgewalk.

On Mt. Hood, you can go up Barrett Spur or Newton Clark Ridge, but neither goes very far. Super easy to get to though.

Oh, and look up the "Railroad Grade" Trail on Mt. Baker.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 26th, 2019, 6:47 pm

The Knife Edge in the Goat Rocks has a ridgeline vibe, but it weaves around grendarmes and whatnot also.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » August 27th, 2019, 6:25 am

ChromaKey wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 11:43 am
Are there any other more hikes around here, obscure or otherwise, that have this ridgeline feature? Perhaps something up in Olympic NP? Maybe something in Silver Star? I've done Pinnacle Peak by Rainier, which was pretty nice... What else is out there? I'm willing to do a bit of driving to get there.
Whittier Ridge near MSH

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 27th, 2019, 7:46 am

johnspeth wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 6:25 am
Whittier Ridge near MSH
'Doh, I can't believe I forgot that one. It's pretty awesome.

ChromaKey

Post by ChromaKey » August 27th, 2019, 8:49 am

Whittier Ridge looks amazing! Also I haven't explored much in Goat Rocks, I'll have to check it out more. Also also, I wish I could make it out to the Wallowas, because I've heard that "Alps of the PNW" nickname before. I'll have to set aside a weekend and just drive out there.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » August 31st, 2019, 9:03 am

Here are some additional ideas with trip reports. The Wallowas/Eagle Cap and the Elkhorn Crest have sustained high ridges, but the Oregon Cascades don't.

Columbia River Gorge:

Ruckel Ridge

Mt Hood:

Gladd Ridge. Trip Report by markesc viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28465&p=210356#p210356

Pea Gravel Ridge aka Newton/Clark Ridge from TT600 to basalt cliffs below Newton/Clark Glacier. Couldn’t find my own trip report!

Ridge above Mt. Hood Meadows to Wy East Climbing Route. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20099&p=149343&hil ... ge#p149343

Ridges in basin between Timberline and Mt Hood Meadows. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20283&p=151128&hil ... ge#p151128

Mt. Jefferson:

Ridge to Jefferson Park Glacier off of Whitewater and PCT trails. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19884&view=unread#unread

Ridge between Jefferson Park Glacier and Whitewater Glacier.

Happy trails or off trails!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.