Update on Bear Valley Lake Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
JThomasJeffrey

Update on Bear Valley Lake Trail

Post by JThomasJeffrey » August 16th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Linda and I have cleared 0.7 miles of the Bear Valley Lake Trail and have reached the end of the bad Snowbrush area. We are now making the final touches to this section of the trail. Today I removed four small trees from the trail and widened about 30 yards of trail where the brush was to close to the trail.

I have marked with ribbon the trail past the bad Snowbrush area. The old trail can be seen in some areas. Unfortunately this area has many fallen trees which we can not remove.

Linda talked to the Forest Service and they said they are planning to relocate the upper part of the trail. Part of the hillside collapsed after the 2003 B&B fire so they do not want to use this old part of the trail. They will apparently build the new trail on the north side of the canyon.

Yesterday while I was walking on the Minto Lake trail I saw the place where the Bear Valley Lake Trail intersected the Minto Lake Trail. I didn’t have time to explore this part of the trail. The trail stays on top of the plateau for about a mile before going down into the Bear Valley creek canyon.

justpeachy

Re: Update on Bear Valley Lake Trail

Post by justpeachy » August 17th, 2019, 5:56 am

Wow, thanks for doing that!

Did the Forest Service say what their timeline was for the trail relocation? I imagine it will be a few years.

JThomasJeffrey

Post by JThomasJeffrey » August 17th, 2019, 8:51 am

Don't know when they are planning to do this.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 18th, 2019, 8:51 am

Thank you Thomas!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir