Backpacking Whetstone Ridge

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
acoulombe

Backpacking Whetstone Ridge

Post by acoulombe » May 18th, 2019, 8:28 am

I'm considering taking my 13 year old daughter on her first backpacking trip this August and am looking at Whetstone Ridge to Twin Lakes the first night and then staying the second night at the old lookout site at Battle Ax.

Question: is there any water access at all along the ridge? Especially in August I might have issues. I know there is the Bagby trail several miles in that takes you down to Silver King Lake. Anything else? We could cancel-up at Twin Lakes for the night on Battle Ax, but an interested in any water source along the ridge.

Also, has anyone ever done any fishing at the Twin Lakes?

I'm thinking the mileage might be just right for her: around 15 RT + the added 4 to the summit of Battle Ax for a total of around 19.

acoulombe

Re: Backpacking Whetstone Ridge

Post by acoulombe » May 18th, 2019, 8:30 am

I meant "camel-up" at Twin Lakes. Probably should have previewed it first :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 18th, 2019, 9:24 am

It's been a while since I hiked that ridge, but my memory insists that, once the snow is all melted, you won't find any other kind of water source up there. Back then the trail down to Silver King Lake was getting overgrown with brush, although it was still easy enough to follow. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in, too.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

I don't recall any water sources along that ridge. The water from Silver King Lake isn't all that great either - very "woody". When I've camped up there I used the lake water to cook, but I got my drinking water from a small creek crossing a little north of there - near "Howdy Doody Camp".

It has been a few years since I've been there as well, but the trail was somewhat brushy - but not hard to follow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

rabbit

Post by rabbit » May 18th, 2019, 2:32 pm

What’s the preferred method for hauling water on a hike to a dry camp? Platypus bags shoved into your pack? Plastic gallon jugs?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm

1 liter soda bottles re-used. 3 or 4 for 1 night depending on how hot it is.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2019, 12:02 am

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » May 19th, 2019, 4:23 pm

No water on the ridge, I always fill up at silver King lake. I haven't been on the couple miles of bagby South to the twin lakes trail so not sure about there. I tried fishing in the upper lake once but never caught anything. I think there are fish though so might just be timing and finding the right lure. The remains of an old cabin are at the outlet to the lake. Kind of neat to see :)

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » May 19th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. Greenjello85, I hadn't read anything about a cabin, that sounds pretty cool. I always love to check out back county stuff like that, whether it be a lookout or a cabin, ever since I sat around a campfire and listened to my uncle's stories about living in and operating a fire lookout back in the '60s.

I guess we'll just have to pack water. I usually use liter bottles as well, they pack easier and are lighter than nalgenes.

I'm considering staying one night at the old lookout location on Battle Ax summit. Depends on if twin lakes has too many mosquitoes. No water or too many mosquitoes? Decisions, decisions.