Trailhead Parking

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Re: Trailhead Parking

Post by drm » June 25th, 2019, 6:22 am

I also don't pay for parking, but I have a pass. Some of these passes are available for free if you volunteer. In the case of the NWFP it requires two days of volunteer activity for the Forest Service. You can volunteer for WTA trips in Washington to get one, presumably with TKO in Oregon. You can also volunteer directly with the Forest Service. Volunteer work can range from trail maintenance to removing illegal fire rings to exotic weed removal to just monitoring - collecting information that they need on something or other. In some cases it can be done on trips you would do anyway, other times on scheduled trips you join.

Water

Post by Water » June 25th, 2019, 11:56 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 3rd, 2019, 8:32 am

LOL - USFS has conned a lot people. The courts have found USFS' actions "unambiguously prohibited" (Adams vs USFS and Bark vs USGS et al) to require a pass to hike, backpack or picnic. They know they are in violation of the court rulings and the Recreational Enhancement Act, but they keep doing it anyway. And our Internet-savvy public for some reason can't reconcile the federal court rulings, prohibited and some jerk wearing a green uniform at the trailhead. Gotta laugh, really I do.

Our society has completely lost its moral compass between right and wrong and legal and prohibited.