Spring breakers in the gorge

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Spring breakers in the gorge

Post by squidvicious » March 26th, 2019, 3:10 pm

So many spring breakers.

If you're trying to get anywhere near Multnomah Falls or the waterfall corridor generally this week, do yourself a favor and keep to the Interstate side, or at least don't plan on going east of Wahkeena on the old highway. When I was leaving today around noon traffic was backing up from Multnomah Falls back to Wahkeena. Last week I witnessed a particularly stupid road rage incident in the Multnomah parking lot. It's like the height of summer there now, except the lower parking lot at Wahkeena isn't open to absorb some of the overflow. Which is just dumb.

There were still some spaces in the 84 lot when I left.

Bosterson

Re: Spring breakers in the gorge

Post by Bosterson » March 26th, 2019, 3:17 pm

squidvicious wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Last week I witnessed a particularly stupid road rage incident in the Multnomah parking lot.
Do tell... wait, let me make popcorn first. :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 26th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Meh, it's not even funny stupid, just stupid.

Car pulled out of a space, next car in line pulled in. Except the car behind that car decided it was actually their space for some reason. So the driver of the offended car pulled behind the freshly parked car, laid on the horn, and did. not. let. go. Meanwhile her passenger took over the screaming portion of the program.

Now everyone's blocked except the person she's pissed at--since that's the one person who doesn't actually want to move--and everyone in and out of cars is pissed because she won't shut up with the horn.

I was trying to move away as rapidly as possible so I didn't catch all the details, but I do believe the parked car wound up moving in the end. I guess they figured if they didn't they'd come back to four flat tires and the need for a new paint job.

New Mexico plates. Maybe the heat makes 'em crazy.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 26th, 2019, 5:14 pm

squidvicious wrote:
When I was leaving today around noon ...
Mistake one :lol: Were you having brunch with Don Nelsen?

squidvicious wrote:
I witnessed a particularly stupid road rage incident in the Multnomah parking lot.
I may have been involved in an embarrassing encounter there once. :oops:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 26th, 2019, 6:10 pm

I got my usual late start today for a Herman Cr. adventure and as I drove past Multnomah Falls on I84 I saw the long line of cars on the scenic hwy. That was about 12:15 and I was surprised it was backed up to that extent on a weekday. Now I see it is spring break so that makes more sense.

Even Herman Cr. was full and I got the last possible parking spot and even that not entirely "legal". there were still lots of possible spots along the frontage road though.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Even Herman Cr. was full and I got the last possible parking spot and even that not entirely "legal". there were still lots of possible spots along the frontage road though.
I don't even use that abysmal TH. I just go from Wyeth. It's much more peaceful. I don't recall ever seeing anybody on that section of 400 between Wyeth and Herman. I don't hesitate revealing my secret back-door route. I know people will continue to use Herman TH because it's a smidge closer.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 28th, 2019, 5:36 am

that's a good idea. I've never gone from Wyeth, although I have gone a short distance. I'll try that next time

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 28th, 2019, 5:37 am

someone poked a hole in my gas tank at Herman Creek TH

that's the only time I can think of my car's been damaged at TH

drm

Post by drm » March 28th, 2019, 7:05 am

4 miles is a smidge?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 28th, 2019, 7:39 am