Trailheads requiring 4x4 / high clearance vehicles?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
adamschneider

Re: Trailheads requiring 4x4 / high clearance vehicles?

Post by adamschneider » March 8th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Even with the bad road, that north Silver Star trailhead still gets crowds. Go there if you want to experience a crappy road, but not if you think it means you'll have the place to yourself.

(Same goes for Abiqua Falls, Breitenbush Lake, and Broken Top Trailhead.)

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 18th, 2019, 9:21 am

BigBear wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Badger Creek has quite a few less-traveled trails because its a long drive and not that exciting of a place to visit. It's not ugly, just doesn't warrant the 12-hour day.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Of the non-alpine wilderness areas near Portland, the Badger is by far my favorite.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 18th, 2019, 9:23 am

One thing about bad roads is that they tend to attract a lot of people who are into the challenge of driving them. The worst roads I've been on near Portland all led to places that were more crowded than you would expect. Many of them were listed above, but I'll also add Elk Lake near Detroit. The road is miserable, and yet the lake is a hot party spot. It boggles the mind.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com