Winter Backpacking: Help Me Get Started

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
leiavoia

Winter Backpacking: Help Me Get Started

Post by leiavoia » January 3rd, 2019, 2:50 pm

I'd like to extend my backpacking to 4-seasons without being afraid of snow, ice, or cold.

What sort of gear are you using for PNW winters? I don't have spikes, snowshoes, skis, winter boots, or any other formal winterized gear.

Also, where are some places you like to backpack in the winter months? I know i can stay low and tromp around in the muddy parts, but i would like to be a bit more adventurous.

For reference: I'm a 3-season hammocker. I can comfortably handle temps down to 30F, lower if i bundle up. I like outings of 2-4 days with 4-10 miles per day.

Thanks for your feedback!

retired jerry

Re: Winter Backpacking: Help Me Get Started

Post by retired jerry » January 3rd, 2019, 6:15 pm

I do winter. The only gear I have is Kahtoola microspikes but rarely use them.

I sleep on snow rarely. Mainly, I just add a closed cell foam pad under my air mattress. A hammock would be really good, then you don't have to worry about it.

In the field guide there's a list of winter and spring backpack trips. Many possibilities. Mainly low "muddy" spots. If it's below freezing the mud freezes :)

When it gets down to 20F or so, it starts getting too difficult. Like keeping your water from freezing. Just my opinion.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » January 3rd, 2019, 7:37 pm

The nights are loooonng. Bring plenty of reading material, a headlamp, and gloves you can turn pages with.

bghiker

Post by bghiker » January 4th, 2019, 1:54 am

Hey there- I'm a hammocker too and have winter camped locally during the winter..mostly on Mt St Helens. I have a Hammock Gear 20 degree top and bottom quilt and have found them adequate. I am a warm sleeper though...so take that into account. I think a 20 degree bottom and top quilt are adequate in most situations. HHYOH..

5th

Post by 5th » January 5th, 2019, 9:55 pm

bghiker wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 1:54 am
I have a Hammock Gear 20 degree top and bottom quilt and have found them adequate. I am a warm sleeper though...so take that into account. I think a 20 degree bottom and top quilt are adequate in most situations. HHYOH..
Same here. I've had it out in the 20's lots and I was fine. Also a bit of a warm sleeper. My wife and I have hammock'ed over the snow without problem on several occasions. Just 'be prepared'. :)