Cloud type from weather forecasts?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Webfoot

Cloud type from weather forecasts?

Post by Webfoot » November 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Although I try to enjoy all kinds of weather I most enjoy dry days with fluffy cumulus(?) clouds, and days with haze/overcast less, but I often cannot tell which I'll get from weather forecasts as either might be described as 50% sky cover or "mostly cloudy." Is there a way I can tell or make an informed guess as to the kind of cloud cover that is forecast?

Chip Down

Re: Cloud type from weather forecasts?

Post by Chip Down » November 15th, 2018, 4:43 am

Webfoot wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm
Although I try to enjoy all kinds of weather I most enjoy dry days...
This amuses me. You know, because of your name.
I hate blue-dome days, other than the benefit of obscured views and no rain.
Anyway, interesting question. I wonder if meteorologists don't know, or if they figure people don't care. Probably mostly the latter.

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » November 15th, 2018, 7:26 am

If it's going to be partly cloudy with a relatively unstable atmosphere, that often means cumulus clouds. If partly cloudy and stable, that often means more stratus (flat and gray). Approaching warm fronts tend to result in more stratus and cold fronts more of a mix. But it gets much more complicated because there are often different situations in different levels of the atmosphere, and there might be some cumulus clouds, but they could be hidden by a lower layer of stratus, for example. Or it might be cumulus over the valley, but socked in more in the Cascades (even if still partly cloudy).

It can be difficult from a general forecast to decipher if it will be a higher instability day or not, if you're not a weather nerd. There's weather sites with the necessary data, but you'd almost need a class to figure out what you're looking for. Tropical Tidbits is a good site if you know what you're doing - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

A simpler option might be to look at a satellite loop and figure out if the approaching clouds appear more spotted (puffy) or sheet-like, but again, so many factors, and they change all the time.

There's lots of sites that explain the typical expected weather in the next 24 hours based on current cloud formations. You might learn those tips, and then work backwards - if you know the forecast (i.e. approaching warm front), what might the cloud formations be leading up to that event? Unfortunately it could still be a bit of a guess.

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/weather1.htm

https://scijinks.gov/clouds/

Maybe this helps a little?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 15th, 2018, 11:58 am

Chip Down wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:43 am
Webfoot wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:52 pm
Although I try to enjoy all kinds of weather I most enjoy dry days...
This amuses me. You know, because of your name.
:lol: In retrospect I could have left "dry" out; some of my favorite times are "rainbow days." I think I was trying to communicate the kind of clouds and that seemed to fit, in contrast to the overcast drizzle we often get. (Full-blown thunderheads are a less common source of precipitation in these parts.)

Schrauf, thanks for your input!