Having a serious food problem on the trail...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: Having a serious food problem on the trail...

Post by Chip Down » November 11th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I used to scrutinize my hiking/camping diet, trying to select optimal foods. But damn, if it's nasty stuff you don't want to eat, that's not going to help. So I sympathize. The best food to carry is what you can eat.

I don't eat/drink nearly enough on hikes. If it's super cold, or if I'm intensely focused on a challenge, I put it off. Knowing that, I camel up before I start out.

I'm in the habit of carrying milk and/or drinkable yogurt. In less than a minute, I can have a belly full of carbs, fat, protein, fluids. No chewing required. Good for dental hygiene too, because a vigorous rinse with water will flush out most of the residue that nourishes bacteria. Just to be super safe, I get "ultra pasteurized" milk, so there's really no chance of any degradation before I get around to drinking it on the trail*.
* I say "on the trail" figuratively

Limey

Post by Limey » November 12th, 2018, 9:39 am

So, Chip, is that "ultra pasteurized" milk the brown stuff in brown bottles that you always post pictures of?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 12th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Limey wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 9:39 am
So, Chip, is that "ultra pasteurized" milk the brown stuff in brown bottles that you always post pictures of?
I've been saving this pic for just the right occasion :lol:
Attachments
moo.jpg

Limey

Post by Limey » November 13th, 2018, 10:43 am

Happy to oblige.