Amazing SAR story on NWH

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Bosterson

Amazing SAR story on NWH

Post by Bosterson » October 30th, 2018, 12:19 pm

It's kind of mind boggling to have watched this unfold in real time, but a NWH member met a PCT thru hiker, was concerned about the forecast this past weekend, and initiated a SAR that likely saved the hiker's life. Summary:
Snohomish County wrote:Katharina Groene is from Germany and began a solo hike of the Pacific Crest Trail in May of this year. Last Wednesday, October 24, Katharina left Stevens Pass heading north on the PCT with the intention of reaching Stehekin in about 7 days.

Prior to departing Stevens Pass she had met, Nancy Abel. Nancy is an avid hiker and resident of Sultan. Nancy joined Katharina for the first couple miles of her trek north from Stevens Pass. Nancy observed that Katharina didn’t have gear for snow travel and questioned her about her experience with fall and winter weather in the mountains. Nancy encouraged Katharina to end her hike due to incoming winter weather. Katharina insisted on continuing north. Nancy returned home.

Nancy monitored the weather forecast for the next several days. She saw that a winter storm had begun and temperatures were decreasing. Nancy believed Katharina was in danger from the weather and was not going to make it to Stehekin. Nancy called 911 on October 30 and reported her concerns.

Search and Rescue launched the SAR helicopter, SNOHAWK1. Chief Pilot Quistorf and Pilot Espeland were barely able to fly the helicopter due to bad weather. Once in the approximate area they began searching for Katharina. They found human tracks in the snow and were able to follow them to locate her.

It took several attempts to find a suitable landing area and then several more attempts to get the helicopter safely on the ground. There were no level areas to set the helicopter down. Chief Pilot Quistorf was able to find a place where he could place one skid on the ground. Pilot Espeland jumped from the helicopter and began stacking logs under the other skid to make a somewhat level platform to set the helicopter on.

Once they were on the ground they contacted Katharina. She was not prepared for winter mountain weather. Her tarp (shelter) had blown away, she was soaking wet and running low on food. She reported she had attempted to call for help the day prior, but had no cell service. She said she left messages on her phone apologizing to her friends and family for dying on the PCT.

Chief Pilot Quistorf and Pilot Espeland flew Katharina back to Taylors Landing. Nancy responded to Taylors Landing and Katharina will be staying with Nancy until she is ready to fly back to Germany.

If Nancy had not taken action Katharina would have most likely died in the mountains. Please remember that winter weather comes much earlier in the mountains and it is extremely important to be well prepared with proper clothing, shelter and food when backpacking.
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Also, the SAR pilots landed in a snowstorm on a platform of logs... :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

scrambler2

Re: Amazing SAR story on NWH

Post by scrambler2 » October 30th, 2018, 3:07 pm

I did that part of the PCT on my thru hike in November and experienced very harsh weather. I made sure to camp low each night. Had a couple anxious nights as the snow fell and I all I could think of was getting over the next pass. Did Vista Ridge in a white out and had to feel for the trail with my feet where the snow drifted over. But I had insulated boots, winter gear, gas stove (not the standard PCT alcohol burner kind) and a 4 season tent.

Couldn't imagine it in a tarp/shelter and normal PCT attire/gear. Glad she's okay and that Nancy Ann was able to convince the sheriff that the thru hiker was in danger.
PCT class of 2012

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 30th, 2018, 6:43 pm

An amazing story, also amazing that a SAR was initiated on somebody's hunch. Well done all around.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » October 31st, 2018, 6:31 am

Amazing but ridiculous. A number of comments on that thread state or imply the hiker's experience was exciting and a "great way to end her almost-thru-hike". No mention of the irresponsibility. I'm shocked SAR did anything so early. Yes it saved much discomfort in this case, and maybe injury or death, but hindsight is 20-20. I'm thinking SAR just happened to have the time and resources for a little adventure and that's why they acted so quickly with so little evidence and with so large a potential search area. If they did this all the time based on slim evidence, they would need budgets 10 times larger.

Most PCT hikers are smart enough to plan for heavy snow and rain in late October in northern Washington. And in those conditions have an InReach device or at least a check-in plan with a contact. And maybe she did somewhat plan for the conditions despite what she implied - maybe she would have been just fine trudging through the snow to the next possible take-out, albeit uncomfortable. Glad she's safe now.