Tom, Dick and Harry by sunrise......

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
salty222

Tom, Dick and Harry by sunrise......

Post by salty222 » July 7th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Anyone ever summited this by sunrise? Do you think it's a safe idea?

I hiked this on sat, started at about 745am or so. Took about 2 hours.... But I've been really wanting to hike somewhere and catch sunrise, I think this spot would be perfect.

However, are there any precautions I should worry about, other than normal precautions....

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks.

Excursionista

Re: Tom, Dick and Harry by sunrise......

Post by Excursionista » July 7th, 2008, 10:03 pm

I did my first solo overnight there last summer. I found I had plenty of time to explore and the trail to Mirror Lake is wide and well-maintained. There's one small talus crossing but the trail is level here. The trail from the lake to the summit is also fairy clear, but it climbs a ridge, switchbacks near a large man-made pile of boulders, and then gets a little harder to follow. I did the hike in May, and there was still snow on the trail, making it harder to follow - I can't say for sure how the trail is without snow, but the forest is more open, so if you loose the trail in the dark there won't be an obvious, more open space in the trees where the trail is. The top of the ridge is rocky and the trail essentially disappears, but by that time you'll have seen the dawn and you'll have light.

Dawn from here? Do it! It's a sweet spot and the dawn would be awesome from the top. Take a headlight and post photos! I can't wait to see those pics.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 8th, 2008, 7:23 am

Sounds like fun. I can't think of anything to caution you about except to make sure you have a backup flashlight for your headlamp, and maybe a few batteries. As you know, there is still plenty of snow up on the final approach to the summit.

I've done quite a bit of hiking my headlamp but it never occured to me to leave early and catch a sunrise. Good idea!

I was up at 5:30 this morning and there was plenty of light already. I'm guessing you'll be dressing to leave the house around 2:00am!

salty222

Post by salty222 » July 8th, 2008, 11:11 am

Yeah I was thinking having to be at the trail head no later than 330am for sure. I'll be sure to take some pics and post em.