new snow on hood?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

new snow on hood?

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Based on forecasts, we certainly should have received a dusting on Hood over the weekend (as well as 50+mph winds :shock: )

There are a few webcams up on the mountain, but nothing pointed up high (because ski activity = $, and there's no profit in pointing cameras above the industrial U$F$-licensed ski resorts). So we'll have to rely on grassroots reports. How about it, seen any new snow up there?

I've never been snowed on in August, although I've hiked in fresh August snow. I would have gone up there to experience it first-hand, but I'm fighting a cold (a very convenient excuse to not endure the brutal reality of snow blowing sideways at 50 mph).

Hard to believe last Tuesday I was whining about the endless heat.

Limey

Re: new snow on hood?

Post by Limey » August 27th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Nothing new on the north side. I have a very good view from my driveway.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Who designs a house such that the driveway has a lovely view of Mt Hood? :lol:
My neighbor has a (not great) view of the mountain, tragically accompanied by a Plaid Pantry sign. Now that's a damn tragedy.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed though. August snow is outrageously cool.

Limey

Post by Limey » August 28th, 2018, 7:40 am

Yeah, really sucks. I can see Hood in the winter from my back yard, too many cottonwoods to give a summertime view. Fortunately we lose several trees during ice storms or heavy snow years so the view is opening up. Have to say, it's the only time I'm ever happy to lose a tree.

ponyespresso

Post by ponyespresso » August 30th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I was up there this last weekend and I thought it might be snowing while hiking on Sunday but it was mostly misting and drizzly. Some white stuff was falling from the sky but I wasn't able to see it up close to see if it was a snowflake -- they were kind of few and far between. It might have been pollen or something as well. We got off the mountain at 7:15 pm and it was 43 degrees at Timberline.

ponyespresso

Post by ponyespresso » August 30th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I also got an aerial pic when flying out of PDX Tuesday morning. I don't think there is a fresh coat of snow...but you can decide.
IMG_20180828_094503 (1).jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Pony, cool pic! Really captures the topography well. Accentuates that there really is a crater rim, even though it doesn't look like it from most angles. Also, look at how small Palmer is compared to the glaciers. Imagine the fun to be had by summer skiers if it was practical to groom Newton Clark Glacier and keep the crevasses filled in with snow as they reform. That reminds me, I think there are ski resorts that utilize glaciers, which poses challenges because you can't build a conventional tower-mounted ski lift on a glacier.