Looking for a new Lighter weight tent

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Looking for a new Lighter weight tent

Post by Guy » August 24th, 2018, 3:44 pm

So after dragging my sorry butt up Yocum Ridge last week with all my 20 plus year old gear I've decided I need something lighter! I ain't getting any younger or thinner either :)

Thing is I don't have the option to backpack a lot so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Currency the REI Quarter Dome is on sale for $243.00.

Do any of you have opinions on if this is a good deal or not for a +/- 3lb tent. OR should I be looking at other options.
https://www.rei.com/product/110819/rei- ... ome-2-tent

Thanks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Re: Looking for a new Lighter weight tent

Post by Don Nelsen » August 24th, 2018, 4:11 pm

I can't speak for other options but I can speak for this tent. I've used the previous model (I guess it would be the "Quarter Dome I") of this tent since 2005 and it's been great.

I don't go backpacking often but this is what I've used and it has held up very well. Still looks like new, very easy to set up, even in the dark (!), and rain (!!). The two doors, one on each side are great if two are using it - though it's a bit cozy for two.

On an expedition to the HP of Kauai in '05, we were beset by 50 MPH winds and torrential rain and not a drop got in. Very good rain fly to say the least.

My two cents.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2018, 4:33 pm

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/duomid/

Duomid weighs 18 ounces but has no floor $265. You can add a floor and netting for 10 ounces $165. You either have to use trekking poles or get a pole that adds 3 ounces.

It's lighter and more expensive if you get it in Cuben

http://zpacks.com/shelter/duplex.shtml

19 ounces including floor and netting, $600

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 24th, 2018, 6:39 pm

That appears to be on the heavy side for 2P backpacking tents these days, and it's not particularly inexpensive either. If light weight is the goal I think you can do better.

How about the MSR FreeLite 2 at $211 with the EXTRA20 coupon. It has a "minimum trail weight" of 2 lbs. 6 oz. (cf. 3 lbs. 5 oz. for the Quarter Dome)

If weight really doesn't matter so much then maybe the Rattlesnake SL 2 at $168 with the EXTRA20, with a minimum trail weight of 3 lbs. 9 oz.

turtle

Post by turtle » August 25th, 2018, 8:10 am

Take a look at tarptent or sixmoon designs.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » August 26th, 2018, 6:20 pm

#3 on the list here:

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-g ... s-of-2018/

Not a bad choice especially if you appreciate ease of setup and separate poles. If you are willing to use trekking poles for support and don't care about freestanding, then there are lighter options in a similar price range.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 26th, 2018, 7:25 pm

We have a Quarter Dome that we got at the REI Garage Sale this summer - used once and returned. There were 2 or 3 quarter domes and some Big Agnes tents that were a bit lighter - you just had to read the little tags to make sure there weren't any holes, etc - prices ranged from 30-70% off, depending on wear/missing pieces. Hasn't been tested in the rain yet, but is less than half the weight of the old tent and takes maybe a third of the time to set up.

I do covet Six Moon Designs, though, they're local and lovely.

This summer, I watched a thru-hiker set up a Nemo in maybe 2 minutes so as to have a bug-free lunch (said didn't like bugspray). Very spiffy.

Water

Post by Water » August 26th, 2018, 8:28 pm

you might laugh about this but it's basically a rebrand of Go-lite Shangri-La 3.

Having had the fly only of the above tent until it really broke down due to rips and other age-related wear... I absolutely love this version, esp for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/3F-UL-Gear-Ultra ... Src=detail

I ordered from amazon and it came within 10 business days or so. Totally satisfied. Have not been out with it in a night of rain so far though. But the construction and workmanship seems absolutely on par with anything I'd find in an REI store, and definitely better than some things I've had over the years.

for 2 it is excellent space. you can make 3 work I am sure but it will take soem creativity and slightly less than ideal, just like the go-lite version.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 26th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Chalk up one more owner of an REI Quarterdome One, the solo version, as it was designed in 2014. They've redesigned it once since then. Mine was reasonably priced, has withstood bouts of bad weather, has seen several seasons of use and is still a good tent with years left in it. I am a happy customer. It's easily the best solo backpack tent of the many tents I've owned.

There are at least half a dozen excellent choices out there, of varying cost and different designs. Make sure you set up whatever you buy and spend some time inside it before you take it into the backcountry.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 27th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas on this. No decided yet but getting there :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors