Wildfire Risk Backpacking with Kids

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kiloforty

Wildfire Risk Backpacking with Kids

Post by kiloforty » August 21st, 2018, 8:09 am

I was hoping to take my 5 and 8 year old kids backpacking this weekend in the Jefferson Wilderness area. I am a bit nervous due to wildfire risk, especially having them with me. I was researching and seems like most the areas I want to go have a moderate to high risk of wildfire. Am I being paranoid? I'm typically not a paranoid person but hate the idea of us being a few miles up a trail and getting trapped or having to flee.

retired jerry

Re: Wildfire Risk Backpacking with Kids

Post by retired jerry » August 21st, 2018, 9:05 am

I think the risk is minimal

Look at current fires before leaving and don't go where there are fires https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire/?fref=gc

You could think ahead of time a second exit route in case the route you came on in starts burning

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 21st, 2018, 2:19 pm

It is true that fire risk is VERY high right now. However there are no thunderstorms in the forecast, and that's when you'd need to start getting concerned. Lightning would almost certainly start a few fires. Check the forecast again just before you go.

Of course there's no way to know if some moron will ignore the fire ban and start a campfire that may then start a wildfire. So I would follow Jerry's advice and pick a route and destination that gives you an alternate way out. You probably wouldn't end up exiting the wilderness back at your car in that scenario, but you'd be safe, which is the important part.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2018, 2:37 pm

Just don't take this kid with you.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 21st, 2018, 4:19 pm

Carrying a few N95/99/100 face masks might make a smokey evacuation easier, should it come to that.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Docume ... 34-353.pdf

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 22nd, 2018, 8:09 am

Looks like it will be cooler and you might get rained on, here's a forecast from Marion lake, weather.gov (https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 8895649817)

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 66. West wind around 8 mph.

Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 40.

Saturday
A 20 percent chance of showers after 11am. Sunny, with a high near 68.

Saturday Night

A slight chance of showers before 11pm, then a chance of rain after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Sunday
A chance of rain before 11am, then showers likely after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63.

Sunday Night

Showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.