Timberline Bike Park under construction

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Timberline Bike Park under construction

Post by Chip Down » August 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Yesterday morning, around 4am, I walked past Timberline Lodge and headed west towards Zigzag. I've done it countless times, but somehow yesterday I got slightly disoriented and wondered where I was. I blame sleep deprivation. No big deal, I know the mountain well. Even in the dark I couldn't get lost if I tried (I know writing that is just tempting fate :D ). Found myself on a trail that didn't make sense, didn't seem to belong there. Sure enough, there was a bridge that didn't look familiar, confirming this was new. Followed it a bit, curious. Found myself on the downhill side of the microwave towers. Went the other way (west) until I came to an odd large-radius switchback. None of this made sense. What purpose does this serve, I wondered? Utter nonsense, I opined. And an existing trail was blocked off with branches. Weird.

As you know from my topic title, I now realize, thanks to a little googling, that I stumbled into the new Timberline Bike Park. I had heard about that, but I was under the impression it was going to utilize existing roads.

A few humorous quotes from the official website:

"The Timberline to Town Trail is now open but be aware of snowy spots. Riders should respect the trail and existing vegetation to prevent erosion. For this reason, it is imperative that riders stay on the trail and do not make their own trails."
:lol:

"It is of utmost importance that we protect Mt. Hood's water resources, prevent erosion, revegetate the landscape, and promote bee habitats while the bike park is under construction and operating in the future. Timberline's Trail Crew [is] working closely with Timberline's own Environmental Coordinator and the US Forest Service to make the Timberline Bike Park a sustainable and environmentally-conscious project." :lol:

"On March 31, the Oregon US District Court dismissed the Timberline Bike Park law suit. Timberline is very pleased with the Court’s decision." Actually, I believe this one.

"Other facilities slated to open with the Bike Park include a full service retail bike shop offering repairs, rentals and sales, as well as existing Timberline Food and Beverage concessions." Of course. :roll:

source: https://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/bike-park

xrp

Re: Timberline Bike Park under construction

Post by xrp » August 20th, 2018, 4:15 am

I noticed that too. I camped out with a friend at Paradise Park Saturday night and exited to Timberline Lodge Sunday morning. For the first time, I took the lower, non-PCT trail to Timberline Lodge and noticed that as well. We also saw 3 bikers using part of the trail already.

Maybe Timberline Lodge is looking at trying to increase its summertime business?

aiwetir

Re: Timberline Bike Park under construction

Post by aiwetir » August 20th, 2018, 9:42 am

Don't they already have this basically on the Bridle trail? They shuttle people from Zig Zag up to the top all day.

I also know that most mountain bikers are very conscious of all the issues regarding access and trail maintenance/erosion. I'm not sure how much Timberline cares, but most of the people using it will take care of it most of the time. Mountain bikers seem like a more aware group of people than hikers in a very general sense. Anyone can hike and anyone can mountain bike, but there are more steps involved in mountain biking and more issues around having access, so they usually play nice.
- Michael