Alternative to Old Salmon River trail?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kmcdade

Alternative to Old Salmon River trail?

Post by kmcdade » August 12th, 2018, 8:02 pm

So I was planning to do the Old Salmon River Trail as an out and back this week, but just saw a report of multiple car break-ins last week, so I'm hesitant.

Any suggestions for a good alternative? I'm looking for 4-5 miles, not too much elevation change (OSR hike has 200 ft EG, but my last couple hikes have had 300-500), within, say, 90 minutes of East Portland. But not in the city. I know I could do this in Forest Park, but I don't wanna. :-)

Or am I just too easily scared? :-) Perhaps so, but I honestly can't afford a $500 deductible right now, either.
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

Webfoot

Re: Alternative to Old Salmon River trail?

Post by Webfoot » August 12th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Could you park your car at the nearest "safe" location and Uber to the trailhead?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 13th, 2018, 6:05 am

Unfortunately any area near a major highway where vandals/thieves know the vehicles will be left alone for any length of time are vulnerable. It's the sad reality now.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » August 13th, 2018, 7:12 am

I park there all the time and have never had a break in--and note that that thread goes back years, so this isn't a new issue. Obviously that's not to say that break-ins don't happen, but I think your chances of a problem just parking there for a few hours following basic safety precautions are low. Like pretty much any trailhead.

As mentioned elsewhere, empty everything out of your car before you go and leave the empty glove box and consoles open. This won't absolutely deter 100% when people are moving quickly and smashing before they even look. But since it's apparently forgotten how to rain, you could just leave all the windows down.

It looks like those reports are mainly for the main Salmon River #742 trailhead by the bridge. The Old Salmon River trail #742A has several parking options along its length. If you park at the place where people climb, I'd think you'd have a good chance of constant activity/people around the cars all day that would deter bad guys. At least on a weekend.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » August 13th, 2018, 9:13 am

Rainbow to riverside trail along the clackamas river might be a good one. It's like 8 miles round trip overall but the scenery is all pretty similar so you could turn around whenever.

Wildcat mountain trailhead to the McIntyre ridge bench would be good as well. It might be a little more eg though?

Fwiw, I've also parked at salmon river many times without any issues. I've seen the glass so there are definitely break ins on occasion.

Thuja

Post by Thuja » August 13th, 2018, 6:52 pm