Mountain Goats on top of Mt St Helens!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Mountain Goats on top of Mt St Helens!

Post by Chip Down » July 21st, 2018, 9:20 pm

I recently observed (complained) that I haven't seen goats on my last couple MSH trips. Today's route took me through a high grassy slope, and I got to see a couple goats who stopped their grazing and scampered off when they saw me. But the real excitement came when I reached the rim (unplanned, but so close, might as well). At the rim (between Monitor Ridge and the summit), I saw a big white dog. Odd. Hey, wait, that ain't no dog! It wandered off when it saw me. I continued up the rim towards the summit, hoping to get another look. No luck. I was so close to the summit, I decided I might as well, especially considering how quiet it was. From the summit I saw more goats exploring high points on the west rim (clockwise from the summit).

Question #1: Has this been observed before? I've never heard of goats on the crater rim.

Question #2: Why? There's no habitat for them up there (no running water, no food, no shelter). Of course, maybe they think the same thing when they see us up there.

Yeah, I know, these pics are awful. As bad as some Sasquatch pics.
Attachments
goat1.jpg
goat2.jpg
goat3.jpg

adamschneider

Re: Mountain Goats on top of Mt St Helens!

Post by adamschneider » July 21st, 2018, 10:00 pm

They just seem to like being on top of high places.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 21st, 2018, 10:23 pm

Hmm...now that you mention it, I have seen goats perched on steep peaks with no evident purpose, except maybe as a defensive posture. Their normal habitat is so inhospitable though, it doesn't seem they have to worry about predators. Maybe I'm over thinking it though. Animals do weird random stuff.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 21st, 2018, 10:33 pm

Sometimes animals, like people or Cyndi Lauper, just want to have fun: https://youtu.be/bsiqdl6vsGQ

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 22nd, 2018, 5:13 am

But did they have the proper permits??? The MSI needs their funds :)