How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mjirving

How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

Post by mjirving » June 30th, 2018, 6:25 am

Hi there...quick question...

How "OregonHiker" is this forum intended to be? Obviously it's mostly Oregon-based hikers (and SW Washington too! :lol: ) who go on hikes in Oregon and SW Washington. What I've wondered, is if it's in scope to post about hikes out of the area by Oregon hikers who are traveling. I assume there's no hard and fast "rule", but I want to make sure that I fit into the spirit of the scope of the site. I think out of area hikes are interesting from time to time as we all travel, but perhaps that's not really encouraged?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Mike

retired jerry

Re: How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2018, 7:14 am

No rule, anything welcome

As long as you're not posting something unrelated, like wedding dresses, just for SEO.

If you were looking for info about Washington, nwhikers.net is a good forum

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 2nd, 2018, 6:59 pm

I can speak to the original intent (but I'm a little less attuned to how things have morphed over time when the scoped changed). I think anything a comfortable days' drive out-and-back to the TH from one the main Oregon population centers (Redmond, Bend, Baker City, Portland...) is going to be pretty well-received. I've often thought we've needed a separate forum section for things outside the local area. (I just got back from an uber cool gracier trek in Juneau AK that some might find interesting, but I don't think I'd post it in the normal Trip Report forums here - just keeping our central audience in mind)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 2nd, 2018, 8:01 pm

Well, the name of the site is OregonHikers.org, not OregonHikes.org. As far as I'm concerned, if you live in Oregon and are a hiker, or if you hike in Oregon, or you just want to talk about hiking in Oregon, you qualify. It's all good, even if you hike somewhere besides Oregon from time to time and want to talk about that, too. :D

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 2nd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Aimless, you win according to one of the hiker mods who PM’d me and said basically what you said.

Thanks
Mike

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

We've had plenty of trip reports from far afield, including the Alps, Hawaii, even central Asia. I don't think anyone minds, as long as they're a small percentage of the overall traffic.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 2nd, 2018, 8:40 pm

Aimless wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 8:01 pm
Well, the name of the site is OregonHikers.org, not OregonHikes.org. As far as I'm concerned, if you live in Oregon and are a hiker, or if you hike in Oregon, or you just want to talk about hiking in Oregon, you qualify. It's all good, even if you hike somewhere besides Oregon from time to time and want to talk about that, too. :D
You were there when it was portlandhikers.COM so you probably remember that "hikers" instead of "hikes" was absolutely intended for that purpose!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 2nd, 2018, 8:53 pm

Yeah that was really lame when we could only post about hikes in the Portland city limits. :lol: ;)

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 2nd, 2018, 8:54 pm

mjirving wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 8:53 pm
Yeah that was really lame when we could only post about hikes in the Portland city limits. :lol: ;)
:D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2018, 6:41 am

Aimless wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 8:01 pm
mjirving wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 8:10 pm
Aimless, you win according to one of the hiker mods who PM’d me and said basically what you said.
And people seriously wondered by Vancouver folks felt excluded, by name, with the new domain. :roll:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...