How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
olderthanIusedtobe

Re: How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 7th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I once got a ticket when I had a valid, current pass clearly visible hanging from my mirror. Don't know what that was about. I took a photo copy of my pass, explained that it was displayed and did not pay the fine. Never heard another word about that.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I wonder if you would have never heard a word if you had done nothing :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 8th, 2018, 3:42 pm

This thread has drifted so magnificently that I feel sort of bad addressing the original question. But oh well: I'm probably one of the worst offenders about posting far away TRs, but I sort of take it that anything that could even be conceivably driven to from Portland or Vancouver or whatever is fair game (maybe 10 to 14 hours max?). But even beyond that, I'd be stoked to read (say) a TR from southern California or something a little further afield...
Last edited by RobinB on July 8th, 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Hawaii is good

New Zealand has some excellent hikes Portlanders might be interested in

Europe?

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm
Hawaii is good

Europe?
Damn, just looked at a map and realized I probably can't drive to New Zealand. But point taken: I guess I'm interested in anywhere anyone hikes too.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 8th, 2018, 7:50 pm

RobinB wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm
retired jerry wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm
Hawaii is good

Europe?
Damn, just looked at a map and realized I probably can't drive to New Zealand. But point taken: I guess I'm interested in anywhere anyone hikes too.
I'll be heading off to Iceland for some hiking in less than two weeks. I'l do some research by posting a trip report here and see how much I get flamed. Results might not be generalizable, though, as I'm already an EasternWashingtonHiker outsider. :)

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 8th, 2018, 9:29 pm

If I didn't know better I would think the Olympics, St. Helens area and the Goat Rocks are in Oregon based on the number of trip reports for those in this forum. Some of you keep sneaking up here to Rainier, the Alpine Lakes and North Cascades too. It's okay. Oregon is great but there's just so much stuff here in Washington.

I was born in Roseburg and cut my teeth hiking on the Oregon side of The Gorge, so I think I'm okay hanging out on this board despite being a Washingtonian for most of my life (and a Seattleite for half of it).

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 10th, 2018, 6:50 pm

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 9:29 pm
If I didn't know better I would think the Olympics, St. Helens area and the Goat Rocks are in Oregon based on the number of trip reports for those in this forum. Some of you keep sneaking up here to Rainier, the Alpine Lakes and North Cascades too. It's okay. Oregon is great but there's just so much stuff here in Washington.
Frankly, I think that Washington - especially Washington north of I90, but also Goat Rocks and the Olympics - is just much, much more spectacular than Oregon. I mean, I love the Oregon, but, for sheer, overwhelming beauty, there's no competition.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » July 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

RobinB wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 6:50 pm
Frankly, I think that Washington - especially Washington north of I90, but also Goat Rocks and the Olympics - is just much, much more spectacular than Oregon. I mean, I love the Oregon, but, for sheer, overwhelming beauty, there's no competition.
I didn't say it, maybe between the lines, but I was definitely thinking it.