Hiking, survival, all around utility

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
joejonsme

Hiking, survival, all around utility

Post by joejonsme » June 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

Hi,

New to the forums here and not a big knife expert. I currently EDC a Spyderco Endura 4 which has been one of the beat purchases I’ve ever made. Currently I’m planning a bikepacking trip through Europe and I’m looking for just a good do anything knife. I’m probably looking for a fixed blade, and able to handle whatever general camping and survival needs. I’ll be out on the trail away from any major cities so something reliable and with a strong steel. I guess probably a good travel sharpener might be a good idea to have too if you have any suggestions. I’ve been looking at the Spyderco Enuff and it seems nice but I haven’t read a lot about how it handles in those situations vs other knives, Spyderco or otherwise, and within the same price range. Thanks for any help or input y’all can offer me.

[Note - spam URL removed by moderator]

Thanks!

Lurch

Re: Hiking, survival, all around utility

Post by Lurch » June 13th, 2018, 7:24 am

Just get a Mora.

I would be extremely careful about carrying a knife in general, let alone a fixed blade around Europe... Read up on your laws.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 13th, 2018, 8:00 am

I have carried the Buck Woodsman 102 for years on my hipbelt. I find it to be the perfect knife for all uses. Many hunters rely on this great knife to clean a full size deer. It can do pretty much everything. I would never set out for a hike with it not on my hip. Love the cocobola wood. I also have the Buck 119 Special as a truck/camping knife (too big for regular hiking) and the Buck Squire 501 as a backup hiking knife in my pack. Love Buck knives. Here's a link to the Woodsman...

https://www.buckknives.com/product/102- ... 0102FAM01/

NickingUp

Post by NickingUp » June 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

I bought a small hunting knife in Thailand a few years back and I've been using it for everything. A Swiss Army Knife Ranger Grip is always tucked in the corner of my backpack as a backup plan.
Wander around, look up to the sky and let my feet feel the earth.