First Sierra Hike: Fitness Evaluation Wanted!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
bghiker

Re: First Sierra Hike: Fitness Evaluation Wanted!

Post by bghiker » June 13th, 2018, 12:04 am

I attempted the JMT a few years ago and found myself woefully undertrained and overpacked. It sounds like you have had a pretty good training regimen and have a reasonable pack weight...two things I did not do on my attempt. Luckily, I learned my lesson and probably overtrained and underpacked on my Kilimanjaro climb a couple years later. Based on what I've read, I think you will do well and I wish you the best of luck. I wouldn't worry too much about the injury reports on Mt Whitney. Most likely those were IOWA (idiots out wandering around). If it was truly hazardous to attempt the summit, I'm sure the Forest Service would close it. Best of luck and I look forward to the trip report...

Eric

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 13th, 2018, 8:05 am

I'm way out of my league in this thread, but one thought that comes to mind is that 24 hours isn't much time to acclimate.

Dispatches from 10,000+ Feet: Altitude Adjustment

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 13th, 2018, 11:14 am

Altitude is one thing, my experiences in the Sierras is that it's the sun that really gets you. It's just more intense down there. 10,000'+ plus in the Cascades or Northern Rockies doesn't have the same effect on me as 10,000'+ in the Sierras. It's been hit and miss, sometimes I do okay but sometimes it just kicks my butt. All I can say is drink a ton of liquid, get plenty of electrolytes, and utilize shade when you can. Sometimes there's nowhere to hide from the sun.

That being said the Eastern Sierras are awesome, sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it!

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » June 13th, 2018, 11:49 am

Thanks for the continued good comments!

I'm finding it very difficult to accurately evaluate conditions on the Mt. Whitney Trail. I've started a couple threads on the Whitneyzone forums (which seems to be one place to go for intel), but in general (as is often the case with mountainous regions) I'm finding that people are reluctant to publicly evaluate conditions, presumably because nobody wants to be liable when someone is hurt and points the finger, saying "He said it would be pretty safe!"

I'm not in a position to take any risks. While I really want to stick to my original southbound hike plan (Kearsarge to Whitney Portal), I'm not convinced (yet) that the east side of the Mt. Whitney Trail is safe for someone like me with no winter mountaineering experience, no ice axe, and no crampons.

As one Whitneyzone member put it, 9 people have died up there in the past few years, and 8 of them were using microspikes and trekking poles—which is all I'd have.

My safer alternative (which I'd likely still enjoy) would just be to do an out-and-back from Kearsarge Pass (hike over to the PCT/JMT, maybe hike a couple days north or south, then return and hike out at Kearsarge Pass). I'll probably make a decision tomorrow or Friday...

Scott

drm

Post by drm » June 13th, 2018, 12:43 pm

I think you're at C, but as pointed out, reaction to altitude is very individualistic, it's genetic to a large degree. There are things you can do to help, but if you're not good at altitude, it will be hard and you will have to put up with it. Carrying any pack over a high Sierra pass with a headache and nausea would not be fun. But many people are in the middle, and some (like yours truly) rarely if ever get those symptoms. But no matter how good you are at altitude, it slows you down.

climbers altitude disease: inability to put one foot in front of the other.

I would add this: despite being strong at altitude, I don't mind the fact that I get to visit alpine scenery in the PNW without having even the slowdown of altitude, let alone the worse symptoms. So enjoy your time in the Range of Light and then welcome back to the gorgeous PNW mountains.

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » June 13th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Great points drm regarding altitude.

At this point, knowing there's still enough snow/ice on Mt. Whitney to be dangerous to winter mountaineering newbies like myself, I think I'm gonna retool my hike to be an out-and-back from Kearsarge Pass. That will be a lot easier logistically, since I can just drive to the trailhead and not worry about a shuttle...and it'll give me the chance to see how I do at altitude (if I have a hard time on day one climbing 11.7K' Kearsarge Pass, I can just high-tail it back down to my car). I might hike north over Glen Pass to Rae Lakes, then come back the way I came. :D

Scott

drm

Post by drm » June 14th, 2018, 6:27 am

Crossing both Kearsarge and Glen passes will certainly let you know what your natural acclimatization capabilities are for the future. Rae Lakes is gorgeous but similarly popular and crowded.