All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Post Reply
User avatar
drm
Posts: 4989
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: The Dalles, OR
Contact:

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by drm » May 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm

theodorelayman wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 8:07 pm
Thanks folks for the ideas and information.
Thoughts about Trapper Creek Wilderness loop this weekend? Looks like it's got some miles and elevation that would be good for training.
It should be mostly snow-free but the mile on the north side of Observation Peak often holds icy sections into June, and the rim section of the loop can also hold some snow, which requires some navigation, though most likely it would be tracked. It should be doable and I may head there too, but I would take spikes as a precaution for that section behind Observation Peak.

Lewis River Trail is open - that's maybe 16 miles one way. It connects to Quartz Creek trail, but probably you would hit snow on that pretty soon. But this would be an out-and-back, but a very pretty one, with the bonus of great waterfalls.

theodorelayman
Posts: 5
Joined: June 17th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by theodorelayman » May 26th, 2018, 10:33 am

drm wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm
theodorelayman wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 8:07 pm
Thanks folks for the ideas and information.
Thoughts about Trapper Creek Wilderness loop this weekend? Looks like it's got some miles and elevation that would be good for training.
It should be mostly snow-free but the mile on the north side of Observation Peak often holds icy sections into June, and the rim section of the loop can also hold some snow, which requires some navigation, though most likely it would be tracked. It should be doable and I may head there too, but I would take spikes as a precaution for that section behind Observation Peak.

Lewis River Trail is open - that's maybe 16 miles one way. It connects to Quartz Creek trail, but probably you would hit snow on that pretty soon. But this would be an out-and-back, but a very pretty one, with the bonus of great waterfalls.

Thanks for that info. I did the 14.5 Trapper Creek Loop yesterday just as a day hike. I came across snow on Trapper Creek trail after the Trapper Creek Falls, mostly around the Trapper Creek crossing. Deep in some places, and I considered turning around, but was able to find the trail on the other side. Then more snow on the Short Cut trail over to Observation Trail. I was expecting snow where you said it would be, but it was mostly clear with only a few small patches. Overall, a great training hike!

User avatar
drm
Posts: 4989
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: The Dalles, OR
Contact:

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by drm » May 26th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Thanks, good to know. The area where you ran into that snow is what I called the rim area, especially on the short-cut trail. You can get some extra miles next time by taking the variation of the Big Hollow and Dry Creek Trails instead of the Observation Trail. It adds about 2 miles.

User avatar
xrp
Posts: 450
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 10:26 am

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by xrp » May 27th, 2018, 6:10 pm

theodorelayman wrote:
May 26th, 2018, 10:33 am
drm wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 2:52 pm
theodorelayman wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 8:07 pm
Thanks folks for the ideas and information.
Thoughts about Trapper Creek Wilderness loop this weekend? Looks like it's got some miles and elevation that would be good for training.
It should be mostly snow-free but the mile on the north side of Observation Peak often holds icy sections into June, and the rim section of the loop can also hold some snow, which requires some navigation, though most likely it would be tracked. It should be doable and I may head there too, but I would take spikes as a precaution for that section behind Observation Peak.

Lewis River Trail is open - that's maybe 16 miles one way. It connects to Quartz Creek trail, but probably you would hit snow on that pretty soon. But this would be an out-and-back, but a very pretty one, with the bonus of great waterfalls.

Thanks for that info. I did the 14.5 Trapper Creek Loop yesterday just as a day hike. I came across snow on Trapper Creek trail after the Trapper Creek Falls, mostly around the Trapper Creek crossing. Deep in some places, and I considered turning around, but was able to find the trail on the other side. Then more snow on the Short Cut trail over to Observation Trail. I was expecting snow where you said it would be, but it was mostly clear with only a few small patches. Overall, a great training hike!
I wonder if we crossed paths. I overnighted Trapper Creek with a buddy. We did the loop going clockwise. We had the same experience as you. Just patchy snow and the trail only gets questionable in a few, short areas. Follow the footsteps and one will do fine.

We camped on Observation Peak and enjoyed a wonderful blustery overnight. :lol:

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 2866
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by adamschneider » May 31st, 2018, 3:18 pm

I went to Lookout Mountain yesterday (the one just east of Mt. Hood). Patches of snow appeared next to the road starting at about 5700', and there was a fair amount of snow on level ground near the trailhead (6000'). The rocky ridges and summit (6500') of Lookout Mountain were bare, but the eastern trail down was about 80% snow-covered.

For the record, though, my little car had no trouble getting up Road 4410, and I was able to get up and down the trail without having to resort to GPS; there were lots of footprints on the snow.

User avatar
drm
Posts: 4989
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: The Dalles, OR
Contact:

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by drm » May 31st, 2018, 4:39 pm

Look at that dark blue line. Snowpack fell off a cliff. This is the Potato Hill snotel between Mt Adams and Goat Rocks. No snow at 4500 feet.

Image

hikinglover4life
Posts: 17
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 9:55 am

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by hikinglover4life » June 1st, 2018, 10:45 am

Timberline Lodge base snow depth of 60" is the lowest recording on June 1st in 17 years. And in that period, there are only two recordings under 100".

User avatar
Charley
Posts: 1393
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: Southeast Portland

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by Charley » June 1st, 2018, 4:17 pm

hikinglover4life wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 10:45 am
Timberline Lodge base snow depth of 60" is the lowest recording on June 1st in 17 years. And in that period, there are only two recordings under 100".
Fascinating! That'd be lower than even the 14/15 year.

User avatar
Bosterson
Posts: 1855
Joined: May 18th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Location: Portland

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by Bosterson » June 1st, 2018, 6:03 pm

hikinglover4life wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 10:45 am
Timberline Lodge base snow depth of 60" is the lowest recording on June 1st in 17 years. And in that period, there are only two recordings under 100".
Holy crap. I hadn't checked T-Line's NWAC telemetry in a while, but apparently 15-20" of snow melted there on Weds the 30th...
Will hike off trail for fun.

hikinglover4life
Posts: 17
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 9:55 am

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by hikinglover4life » June 3rd, 2018, 6:40 pm

Bosterson wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 6:03 pm
hikinglover4life wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 10:45 am
Timberline Lodge base snow depth of 60" is the lowest recording on June 1st in 17 years. And in that period, there are only two recordings under 100".
Holy crap. I hadn't checked T-Line's NWAC telemetry in a while, but apparently 15-20" of snow melted there on Weds the 30th...
I’m assuming they got a bunch of rain that day?

Post Reply