All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Born2BBrad

Re: All-New for 2018! A snow level thread.

Post by Born2BBrad » June 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm

Karl and I just did the Mississippi Head loop on 6/2/18. 95% snow coverage from Timberline Lodge to the ZZ canyon overlook. Almost zero snow down to the ZZ crossing. We took the first ridge to get to the Mississippi Head traverse. That ridge was 98% clear of snow right up to the climb up to Mississippi Head. Then it was 100% snow back to Timberline Lodge.

Taking the first ridge after crossing ZZ River:

The ridge was clear of snow until the Mississippi Head traverse:

Snow coverage 100% once the traverse began:
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

hikinglover4life

Post by hikinglover4life » June 4th, 2018, 6:05 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
June 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm
Karl and I just did the Mississippi Head loop on 6/2/18. 95% snow coverage from Timberline Lodge to the ZZ canyon overlook. Almost zero snow down to the ZZ crossing. We took the first ridge to get to the Mississippi Head traverse. That ridge was 98% clear of snow right up to the climb up to Mississippi Head. Then it was 100% snow back to Timberline Lodge.
Good stuff! I'm wanting to make the hike from Timberline to Paradise Park along the PCT in a few weeks - then camp at PP. Been worried about snow. This doesn't look good! Thanks!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

hikinglover4life wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 6:05 am
Born2BBrad wrote:
June 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm
Good stuff! I'm wanting to make the hike from Timberline to Paradise Park along the PCT in a few weeks - then camp at PP. Been worried about snow. This doesn't look good! Thanks!
You should be fine, especially in a few weeks! Only challenges were through the woods, which is why we turned uphill as soon as climbing out of ZZ Canyon. Above the timberline, it was mostly open until 7000' or better.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

JerDerv

Post by JerDerv » June 5th, 2018, 7:19 am

Oh boy! I didn't realize we had a snow level thread! I made a thread in trail Q&A before i saw this but figure ill ask here as well. Anyone know typical snow depth in Indian Heaven more specifically Thomas lake to blue lake? 4610ft elevation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xrp

Post by xrp » June 5th, 2018, 7:17 pm

JerDerv wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 7:19 am
Oh boy! I didn't realize we had a snow level thread! I made a thread in trail Q&A before i saw this but figure ill ask here as well. Anyone know typical snow depth in Indian Heaven more specifically Thomas lake to blue lake? 4610ft elevation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Retired Jerry provided this link earlier in this thread or in another one:

http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

He says it is reasonably accurate. Jerry is a pretty good source of information, so I'm using it to plan my trips. Goat Rocks might be accessible before Indian Heaven.

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2018, 5:43 am

Goat Rocks and Mt Adams usually melt out a bit before IH, at least at comparable altitudes. IH gets a lot more snow than they do and the high flat plateau also slows the melting process.

romann

Post by romann » June 7th, 2018, 1:00 am

Sat view as of 6/5 shows Goat Creek Valley (arrow) melting out - that would mean approx. 4700-5000' snow level. All Goat Rocks trailheads are almost certainly accessible by now, but I wouldn't expect alpine areas to melt out before early or mid-July (this being fairly average year)
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Last edited by romann on June 8th, 2018, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 8th, 2018, 11:25 am

Salmon Butte trail was wholly snow free yesterday right up to the top (4850 ft.), so it can be inferred that the entire Salmon-Huckleberry wilderness has melted out now.

Comparable elevations in SW Washington State may still have some residual snow, especially north exposures, since it received more snow last winter than anywhere in Oregon, but comparable elevations in Mt. Hood, Bull of the Woods, Roaring River, and Mt Jefferson ought to be comparably accessible by now.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 9th, 2018, 6:07 am

"He says it is reasonably accurate."

I went to Strawberry Mt.

The snow model said there was 10 inches of snow before I left. When I got back it said there was no snow.

What I actually found was a difficult cornice right at the ridge to Strawberry Mt. Over a 1/2 mile area, the snow averaged to close to zero, but right at that one spot there was 6 feet of snow. Same a couple other places.

If you want zero snow, you might have to wait a couple weeks after the snow model says there's zero. It depends on the geography.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 11th, 2018, 8:34 am

About 4-12" of fresh snow between 5000-6000' on MSH as of yesterday afternoon...

Karl
Back on the trail, again...