Routing Options for Timberline Loop?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
LivingThePCT

Routing Options for Timberline Loop?

Post by LivingThePCT » December 2nd, 2017, 8:44 pm

While it's several months away (aka about half a year away) from time for me and the wife to head for our full loop of Timberline, I'm torturing myself by wanting to start planning out some of the general details of our trek. It seems the most common way people approach it is with a 4 day 3 night trip, and so all the guides generally (such as the one on here) discuss this time line. I'm curious if anyone has any specific suggestions for a plan for a 5 day 4 night trip around the mountain? While I'm sure I can figure something out easily enough, I'd love to have something a bit more organized to get heavier water crossings done early in the day, not finish with the worst inclines, and have some good places to bed down.

I much appreciate any help and suggestions!

retired jerry

Re: Routing Options for Timberline Loop?

Post by retired jerry » December 2nd, 2017, 9:09 pm

You will be getting a full amount of anticipatory pleasure this far in advance :)

If you can wait until late August or September water crossings aren't so bad.

Maybe camping spots are a good thing to plan around.

Like, if you start at Timberline Lodge you want to camp something like 8 or 10 miles in either direction which would be like the Sandy River and Newton Creek

Or, if you don't start at Timberline you don't really want to camp too close to Timberline because it's so busy, so camp at Paradise Park and somewhere like Umbrella Creek or the White River.

Then choose the other night's camp spots based on that.