Vandalism on Palmateer Trail #482

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pcg

Re: Vandalism on Palmateer Trail #482

Post by pcg » November 1st, 2017, 6:05 am

I found a trail marked in similar fashion in the Clackamas River drainage, but it appeared to be several years old. The trail was overgrown and hard to follow, except for the occasional faded paint on the trees. I was camped nearby, in an area trashed by hunters. There were old rotted tarps lying around and even a broken wooden table someone had hauled in.

The next day I met a couple friendly locals near the trail who were target practicing. I mentioned the old trail and one of them claimed responsibility for “maintaining” it. He said they no longer used it because the “elk had been run out” in that area.

underbucker

Post by underbucker » November 1st, 2017, 6:22 am

I do agree that these were most likely meant to be crude route markers for winter use of trail. As such, they are pretty useless. If you look at the approved winter route markers on the PCT in that location, they are 20-25 feet up. At 8 feet, these markers will be under the snow in no time.

I do not agree that using the word vandalism has an "unwarranted connotation". It is, in fact, the precise legal definition of this activity. From Title 36 (Parks, Forests, and Public Property), Chapter I, Part 2, Section 2.31: (3) Vandalism. Destroying, injuring, defacing, or damaging property or real property. In this case, because the total damage exceeds $100, the charge would be felony vandalism.

I have also left the occasional flag behind. It eventually disintegrates or is found by another and removed. It does not damage or deface the tree is is on. It also does not require a crew to come in and repair the damage. A crew that could be doing any number of deferred maintenance jobs necessary to keep the trails open for public use.

Underbucker

texasbb

Post by texasbb » November 1st, 2017, 6:30 am

I agree. No matter how useful, helpful, interesting, or pretty a marking might be, it defaces the tree and "vandalism" is the correct term.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 1st, 2017, 6:44 am

When we were at Boulder Lake in July 2015 we saw similar markings. Man, what an eyesore!

Meiyong

Post by Meiyong » November 1st, 2017, 7:52 am

I was going to say I hiked Boulder Lakes this last Saturday and saw similar markings, but Cheryl beat me to it. Also there were a lot of hunters up there so be safe and wear hunter orange when hiking this time of year.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 1st, 2017, 11:45 am

A few folks on PortlandHikers FB group are reporting that it was there on the 27th.
Colette Grace