Conditions at Ramona Falls

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
walkin62

Conditions at Ramona Falls

Post by walkin62 » October 23rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

Just thought I'd give a heads up if anyone is considering going to Ramona Falls during this bit of sunny weather. The Sandy River has moved and is currently running up against the bank when you approach it from the trail. The bank where the trail dropped down to cross the logs is now undercut, and it's a good 8 foot drop from there straight into the water. (The logs that you used to cross on are now on sand on the far side of the river.)
There is now only one semi-solid log even crossing the river, which is farther downstream that I saw some people butt-scoot across, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's got a root wad that is over an outer bend where the current will continue to undercut it, and it's high enough up that a fall would have serious consequences.

retired jerry

Re: Conditions at Ramona Falls

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2017, 2:15 pm

Interesting.

It must have moved in this recent rain storm.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 23rd, 2017, 7:51 pm

Good to know. I'm thinking about going up there Saturday. I suppose I'll have to resort to hiking upstream looking for a crossing (as far as necessary, even if it means going all the way to PCT).

I've seen some pretty wild re-routes of Sandy. It's fun to see it flowing right through forest where obviously there was no water until recently.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2017, 8:11 pm

I wonder how far you could go to the PCT. I think there are some cliffs that go pretty steeply into the Sandy

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 24th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Until now it's always looked like you could probably cross at the spot where the trail junction is further up and the little path to the view of the river is. There was never any reason to try it though.
I think Jerry is right. There doesn't look to be any approach at all up by where the old guard station/cabin is and that is before the PCT..

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 25th, 2017, 4:38 am

retired jerry wrote:I wonder how far you could go to the PCT. I think there are some cliffs that go pretty steeply into the Sandy
Actually, the riverbed becomes broad and very easy to travel. Only problem is a spot where Sandy curves over and runs right up against a cliff (can one call it a cliff when it's essentially a dirt/stone matrix?).

I failed slightly upstream from from where this pic was taken, a little before that forested draw. It was very cold, so I couldn't kick steps into the dirt. If I were to fall, I wouldn't get hurt, but I'd land in the water, and hypothermia would possibly follow. Also, the rocks along the creek were iced up, and I couldn't find a safe place to cross. I could have gone downstream and up into the trees to avoid the whole problem, but time was short.
Attachments
fail1.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 25th, 2017, 5:07 am

isn't the forested draw Rushing Water Creek and the PCT? You were very close.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 25th, 2017, 8:11 am

If you go approx. 1/2 mile or so past the now washed out spot you should be able to see the little footpath down to the Sandy that's on the other side and will take you right up to the big loop trail junction spot. It might even be flagged. IF there's a spot to get across there, and it's super wide so there should be as flow dies down, then the rest is a piece of cake...

My question would be... do you flag the new route?
Are you helping people or putting them at risk?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 25th, 2017, 8:20 am

I remember meeting Gene on Burnt Lake trail when he was removing flagging he had put up when it was snowy :)

I would put up flagging myself. If people are going to attempt to cross, better to help them cross at the safest spot. Just my opinion.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 25th, 2017, 9:23 am

retired jerry wrote:I remember meeting Gene on Burnt Lake trail when he was removing flagging he had put up when it was snowy :)

I would put up flagging myself. If people are going to attempt to cross, better to help them cross at the safest spot. Just my opinion.
Snow is tricky. What looks so easy going in looks completely different from the opposite angle coming out... :?

Maybe I'll give it a shot Friday. I don't feel like driving as far as where I really want to go. And naturally all last week it rained I was off and this week....grrr....
Anyone up for a lil' adventure that wants to come along feel free to say something....