Perseid Backpack Recommendations

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
keemery

Perseid Backpack Recommendations

Post by keemery » August 1st, 2017, 7:56 am

Hey there,
I was looking for one night backpack trips so we can watch the perseids on Saturday night. Although I'd love to get down to central Oregon, we don't have a ton of time, so something closer to Portland is ideal. I was thinking about Elk Meadows on Mt Hood, but if anyone has any other locations on the mountain or elsewhere that would be good for viewing, I'd appreciate the recommendations.

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Perseid Backpack Recommendations

Post by retired jerry » August 1st, 2017, 8:43 am

Maybe Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge would be better - more close up views of the mountain, about equally busy as Elk Meadows, views of Portland, slightly higher elevation so slightly better meteor viewing

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » August 2nd, 2017, 6:51 am

The Perseids appear to originate in the constellation Perseus, which is on the NE horizon at 11 PM. For this reason a viewing location open to the NE and away from ambient light is best. What with haze, the higher elevation the better.

We have gone to several locations on the East side of Mt Hood to good advantage. Lookout peak. The Whitewater snopark close to Mt Hood Meadows.

If you are comfortable with off trail travel, I've always felt this spot, at 8600' would be awesome for viewing the Perseids. Note, no water!!

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &z=15&t=t1

The "Lunch Counter" on Mt. Adams would be similarly good, but now requires a climbing permit.

Perseus is highest in the night sky before dawn, which is why before dawn is often suggested as the best viewing time. I personally find it easier to stay up and watch on the front side of night, but YMMV!

Good viewing!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2017, 7:15 am

space.com says peak is August 12

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » August 9th, 2017, 7:06 pm

We did our Perseids trip at Dollar Lake on Mt. Hood, one year. Excellent viewing.
Kelly

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2017, 10:18 am

The thing is that the moon rises this year late in the evening on those dates, so it really isn't going to be good viewing in the early morning. The best viewing will be the short time after it really gets dark and before the moon rises. So this year will not be a banner year because the normal best time will have an almost full moon high in the sky.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Perseids still active August 21, although not as much as August 12

Combine with eclipse viewing trip. The night before the eclipse could be good.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 11th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Mt. Hood is close enough to Portland to have some light pollution... especially Paradise Park. I'd go for the Lookout Mountain area.

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » August 11th, 2017, 10:38 pm

With the Perseid being NE I don't suppose much of an issue with views from Lookout Mountain. I can say though I was surprised at just how much light pollution is now coming over Mount Hood from the west. It used to not be so bad. This was taken on film so it was a long exposure, but it looks almost daylight and it was the middle of the night.

For future reference, my favorite place to see the Perseid meteor showers was the eastern flanks of Crater Lake. Obviously with fires this year it wouldn't be very good, and you wanted something close in. For what its worth in the future, the eastern meadows are wide open with excellent views and you camp about anywhere as Crater Lake has dispersed camping. Just have to stay a mile off the rim.
Attachments
Night photo Mount Hood..jpg
Light pollution from Portland.