Jefferson is on fire...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pdxgene

Re: Jefferson is on fire...

Post by pdxgene » July 31st, 2017, 1:43 pm

Just the opinion of one (rather cynical) person but I wouldn't make any plans on going there before the eclipse. I could see it pretty easy for them to use this as a reason to keep it closed.
Which in the long run might not be the worst thing that could happen...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2017, 1:47 pm

hmmm... that might be a problem for Goat Peak...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 1st, 2017, 6:33 am

pdxgene wrote:Just the opinion of one (rather cynical) person but I wouldn't make any plans on going there before the eclipse.
I'll be surprised if Jefferson Park reopens in time for the eclipse. The fire keeps growing and with the hot weather in the forecast, containment is not going to happen anytime soon. We need some rain. Seven solid months of winter rain and now a summer where no rain is falling at all. I've never experienced a July where every single weekend is sunny and dry, which is what it was like this year. Mother Nature is all screwed up.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 1st, 2017, 8:48 am

yeah, Sept 2016 to June 16 2017 was unusually wet, few days without rain

then the light switch tripped starting June 17. 46 days without rain. Nothing in the next 10 days which is as far out as forecasts go which would be 56 days. We just might break that record of 71 days without rain.

I'm into breaking records :)

I wonder if this is the sort of thing that will change with global warming

drm

Post by drm » August 2nd, 2017, 6:53 am

Chazz wrote:That's going to suck for PCT thru-hikers. It's getting to be prime season now for the bulk of them going through Oregon, though the snow in the High Sierra's may have delayed the main bubble by a couple weeks.
The snow in the Sierra was deep enough that I think many just bypassed it or went elsewhere. And at peak snow melt, many creeks are impassable. You really can't just sit around for weeks waiting for snow to melt and then water levels to drop. As a result, the herd may arrive up here a bit early.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » August 2nd, 2017, 8:08 am

Below is a map link that displays the MODIS hotspot data. When the map opens it is centered at the Whitewater fire near Mt. Jefferson but you can pan to other areas.

Each time you open the map the most recent data hosted on federal GIS servers is displayed. The hotspot data on the server is updated at least twice per day.

Map link:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... fire_3.txt

If you zoom in any more then the MODIS data is not displayed. Don’t blame me. The zoom levels at which GIS data is displayed is defined on the GIS server.

By clicking “Map Tips” in the upper left corner you can also:
* See the map legends
* Learn how to turn other GIS overlay layers on/off
* Learn how to make your own custom map link
* and more...

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » August 2nd, 2017, 11:30 am

Yeah that fire is pretty big now, and it's already encroaching on Jeff Park. Hard to see the Park escaping unscathed here. Sad.
Attachments
whitewater_fire.jpg
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Water

Post by Water » August 2nd, 2017, 1:36 pm

thanks for the link, though the map legend could be clearer. Yellow hashed is 'not part of complex' according to it. Not sure what that means. Additionally if you get to the proper zoom to see it shows Jeff Park is actively burning right now (red hashing).
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » August 2nd, 2017, 1:47 pm

Water wrote:it shows Jeff Park is actively burning right now (red hashing).
:cry: :cry: :cry:

PS - I agree that forests need fire and that they shouldn't put out lightning-caused fires. But that doesn't change how I feel about it viscerally. So many places I enjoy have burned in the last 5 years.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » August 2nd, 2017, 2:01 pm

Water wrote:thanks for the link, though the map legend could be clearer. Yellow hashed is 'not part of complex' according to it. Not sure what that means. Additionally if you get to the proper zoom to see it shows Jeff Park is actively burning right now (red hashing).
The map legends are defined on the GIS server. I have no control over what the legends say.

The word "complex" refers to several individual fires that are relatively close together. All of those fires are given a single name and referred to as a "complex".

Since the perimeter for this fire is shown in yellow crosshatch we know this fire is not part of a "complex".