That's it - I'm getting a GPS...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Paul

That's it - I'm getting a GPS...

Post by Paul » July 6th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I went backpacking again this weekend for a couple days up Herman Creek in the Gorge, Two weeekends ago we ( a buddy and me) tried to get to Whatum Lake but lost the trail in the snow above Mud Lake, so we had to turn around.

This weekend I went up alone with my two dogs up a slightly different route to get to Rainy Lake. 12 miles, and limited snow got me there with no problem. The next day I got up top of Gorton Plateau, a roughly 3x5 miles plateau that 3 trails cross. On the north end two ridges stick out off the end before they drop off into different drainages. My goal was to get to Gorton Creek trail, and brak at Ridge camp. I first tried Green Point Ridge Trail, thinking there would be less snow, but soon couldn't find the trail anymore and the cutoff trail didn't seem to be signed. The blazes on the trees are very old and you can barely see them. I backtracked the 2 miles to the Rainy/Whatum/Gorton junction, then tried Gorton Trail. It was full of snow all the way, but is pretty much a straight shot.

I soon lost this trail, too. Using my compass and map, I shot north, but pretty soon I came up along a drop off that should not have been there. I though I was coming up to Nick Eaton Ridge. The forest all looks the same under the sparse, trees. Anyone have that feeling in the woods where you don;t know where you are? I turned a 360 and didn't know where I was on that ridge. It's a crappy feeling.

I kept forward, soon found the drop off I thought was was the correct one. I soon found a trail, but it dropped straight off the end of the plateau. DAMMIT! This had to be the northern Green Ridge Trail down to Wyeth. I backtracked south, keeping the drop-off to my right, watching the altimeter the whole way to keep along the ridge. The area got real rough, and I had to climb some rough stuff. I finally came out on top into the clearing, pretty sure where I was on the plateau.

I stopped to give the dogs a rest and clear my head. We napped for about a half hour, the dogs pretty pooped. I woke up feeling good, and kept along my plan pointing west to northish. I finally came across a small creek, the only discernible landmark I'd seen in a couple hours. I was pretty sure it was Gorton Creek about 30 minutes later I look over to my left, and found the trail intersection for Gorton Creek and the cutoff trail! Finally. I was trying to get across Gorton Plateau from around 1130 to around 3.

The dogs were pooped, so I decided to push on to the car, to get home and some greasy hamburgers. Day's mileage: 16. I pretty sore today.

I was never really lost, but it's disconcerting that I lost the trail. tAnyone else ever get turned around in the woods?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

turtle

Re: That's it - I'm getting a GPS...

Post by turtle » July 6th, 2008, 2:37 pm

According to Daniel Boone you weren't lost, you were just "a mite confused." ;)
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 7th, 2008, 6:15 am

This weekend I was trying to connect from one primitive trail to another across a creek through some poorly marked terrain. I spent 1.5 hours at least going in circles looking for that connector. I did have a gps but pretty soon it became worthless as the screen looked like a Where's Waldo cartoon. At this particular time a map(which I forgot at home) in conjunction with gps would have saved me most of this lost time.

fettster

Post by fettster » July 7th, 2008, 11:38 am

I can definitely relate to that feeling as well. Seems like you did a good job though making good choices even when earlier ones were off.

I don't recall you getting a second dog. When did that happen?

Paul

Post by Paul » July 7th, 2008, 4:18 pm

fettster, Hoban is 15 months now. He's turning into quite the hiker. :)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2008, 7:26 am

I think it's great fun getting sort of lost, trying to figure it out, don't panic, keep your wits, finally getting where you want to go.

Like once I was going up McNeil Ridge, getting dark, sleeting, clouds closed in zero visibility, I had this idea of staying at McNeil Point shelter, walked right by it but didn't see it because the visibility was zero but I knew I was past the trees onto the ridge, turned around and finally found it, the next day was mild and sunny.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 10th, 2008, 6:05 pm

The other night I was hiking in the dark and used my GPS to help route-find my bushwhack back to the main trail. I had the GPS in my hand for a little bit. At one point my hand (through it's normal swinging motion) hit my leg and dropped to the forest floor. Well it was easy enought to find...but the thought occured to me if I was close to a cliff (like I would be in another 1/2 mile or so) my route-finding just became a serious situation! No amount of extra batteries would get me out of that situation. I did still have my map and compass so I might have done all right.