Timberline trail map

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Fishinak

Timberline trail map

Post by Fishinak » May 4th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Hi all.
My son and I will be backpacking the timberline trail this July. Is the green trails map the most preferred map?
Anyone have a used one they wanna sell?
Or know if a good online outlet for them?
Thank you.!

Chase

Re: Timberline trail msp

Post by Chase » May 5th, 2017, 4:52 am

Yeah, the map is important. Also important: large sections of the trail will still be under snow in July, most likely. Look to the second half of August or first half of September.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 5th, 2017, 5:12 am

Yeah, you probably don't want to do that in July. Especially this year because there's more snow.

Late August or September would be better

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 5th, 2017, 6:07 am

Yes, the Green Trails map is great. So is the NG Mt. Hood Wilderness map.

Echoing previous comments, July is too early to do the Timberline Trail this year after all the snow that fell up there this past winter. Some of the trail will be melted out, but much of it won't be.

Fishinak

Post by Fishinak » May 5th, 2017, 6:43 am

Well...nuts!
Unfortunately, early July is the only time this summer that works for us to put together a backpacking trip.
Originally we were planning on sierras but due to their snow this year changed to the Timberline trail.
Hmmm
Those of you w experience hiking the Timberline in July, is there so much snow that it is dangerous/difficult to find the trail? Or is it more of an inconvience thing? We will have poles and microspikes.
Thanks in advance and please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Fishinak

Post by Fishinak » May 5th, 2017, 7:01 am

Hmmm
Maybe we should consider the 3 sisters loop.
While we would prefer the Timberline, would 3 sister be a better option this July-considering the snow?

drm

Post by drm » May 5th, 2017, 7:08 am

I doubt it, I think there is more snow the farther south you go. Your best chance for a mountain loop would be the Loowit Trail around Mt Saint Helens. It's lower and melts out sooner. Early July still might be a problem, but if we have a warm rest-of-spring, it's not impossible that remaining snow might be more in the inconvenience category rather than true adventure. Another fallback might be a loop somewhere in the Olympics, which have some low altitude options. You need to stay flexible and keep monitoring conditions as it gets closer.

The Timberline in early July will involve extensive route-finding difficulties and probably some dangerous snow bridges across raging creeks. People have done it, but it is a very different experience.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 5th, 2017, 8:58 am

I did Three Sisters last year July 1. A low snow year. As I keep re-learning, I should have waited for more snow melt. There was about 12 miles of snow to walk on.

But, on the east side there was no snow. You could do something around Broken Top which includes a bunch of the east side Three Sisters loop. There still might be a lot of snow this year. There should be some trip reports here which would give you a better idea.

One problem with snow is you can lose the trail. If you have a GPS and a track to follow, or know the trail well, this isn't too bad. Otherwise you could get lost.

Another is post holing - sinking a foot or two into the ground each step is annoying.

Another is there are steep snow banks you have to climb over. Or if the trail traverses the side of a hill, you can slide sideways. Especially if the snow is icy. Conditions can change in a short time.

You could do something like the Zigzag trail and see how far up Mt Hood you could get. Go up Burnt Lake trail and down Cast Creek for example. Not as epic as Mt Hood.

You could do Herman Creek Trail in the gorge, go up to Wahtum Lake for example.

Chazz

Re: Timberline trail map

Post by Chazz » May 5th, 2017, 11:46 am

How about the Hatfield trail? Angels Rest to Starvation Creek.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 1&start=30

Fishinak

Re: Timberline trail map

Post by Fishinak » May 6th, 2017, 10:04 am

Major bummer!

The Hatfield trail looks cool at quick first look.

Howabout somthing in Eagle Cap? July to early for there too?

Unfortunately, we already have our tix to Portland. So we'll have to make something work.

Any other 30-50 mile ideas?

thank you.!!!