Tick Deschutes 4/23/2017

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Tick Deschutes 4/23/2017

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Okay, everyone's been whining about ticks, blah, blah,...

Until I found one burrowed into my stomach:
DSCF9271resize.jpg
I removed it with tweezers, left a bit of a wound, now waiting to see if I have any symptoms.

I was walking down Deschutes River from Mack's Canyon. I was cutting sagebrush and stuff with my pocket saw. Same thing happened several years ago.

Webfoot

Re: Tick Deschutes 4/23/2017

Post by Webfoot » April 25th, 2017, 1:57 pm

%$&^@ &@@ %&%%&@ %^&$!

(I hate those things.)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 25th, 2017, 3:10 pm

No fun, Jerry! I ended up on antibiotics two separate times after getting tick bites twice in one year. My doctor recommended it after seeing the way the sores on my body looked.

Best of luck to you!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Fishinandgold

Post by Fishinandgold » April 25th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Was at the other end down at the mouth this last weekend with my girlfriend for her first backpacking trip. Pulled three off the dog and one out of her shirt. She loved it though and wants to go backpacking again this weekend.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Nice she can still enjoy things after some adversity :)

I think my wound is healing so I'll not worry about it. No bulls eye rash.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/index.html says to also watch out for headaches, swelling,... If you see no symptoms, don't worry about it.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 26th, 2017, 6:55 am

Are you ok, now that's been a couple of days? Is there anything to help prevent ticks from getting access to your skin? 100% Deet?

Fishinandgold

Post by Fishinandgold » April 26th, 2017, 7:02 am

We used 100% deet this trip and it seemed effective. The one that got in my girlfriends shirt I'm fairly positive came from a small clump of tall grass by the fire pit. I know in the south they treat their clothes with permetherin and that seems to be most effective.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 26th, 2017, 7:07 am

Lyme is a low probability here from what I've read; I'd be more worried about other tick-borne infections if I were you.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/
https://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/ ... e-diseases
Anaplasmosis is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Babesiosis is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the U.S. are caused by Babesia microti. Babesia microti is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the northeast and upper midwest.

Borrelia mayonii infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the upper midwestern United States. It has been found in blacklegged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Borrelia mayonii is a new species and is the only species besides B. burgdorferi known to cause Lyme disease in North America.

Borrelia miyamotoi infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the U.S. It is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and has a range similar to that of Lyme disease.

Colorado tick fever is caused by a virus transmitted by the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni). It occurs in the the Rocky Mountain states at elevations of 4,000 to 10,500 feet.

Ehrlichiosis is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and eastern U.S.

Heartland virus infection has been identified in eight patients in Missouri and Tennessee as of March 2014. Studies suggest that Lone Star ticks may transmit the virus. It is unknown if the virus may be found in other areas of the U.S.

Lyme disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Powassan disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and the groundhog tick (Ixodes cookei). Cases have been reported primarily from northeastern states and the Great Lakes region.

Rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis is transmitted to humans by the Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).

Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) is transmitted by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.

STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness) is transmitted via bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the southeastern and eastern U.S.

Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF) is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and vacation homes.

Tularemia is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.

364D rickettsiosis (Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 26th, 2017, 7:22 am

yeah, I've looked at those sites, low risk of Lyme here. There was a red rash around the wound for one day, not anymore, seems like it's healing.

DEET is not supposed to be effective

I treated outside of boots and gaiters with Permethrin. But not my pants or shirt. I was making pretty good contact between brush and pants/shirt so tick could have gotten on board that way. Sawyer spray on outside and let dry. Leaves a faint smell.

I seem to remember a tick attaching to my stomach before, it must like the thinner skin or something.

Fishinandgold

Post by Fishinandgold » April 26th, 2017, 10:07 am

From what I've read you're spot on about deet not being effective. It's probably better than nothing though. I picked up some clothing treatment this morning we'll see how it does.