Table Mtn (Dick Thomas TH & trail) PERMANENTLY CLOSED

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
beag

Re: Table Mtn (Dick Thomas TH & trail) PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Post by beag » February 12th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Cam owns a narrow strip of property from Hamilton Creek East to approx half a mile east of the old hotel. I don't think he would object to people hiking through the property as much as he had with cars parking on his property He has been easy to deal with for over 17 years. Dick and a few of his friends built the DT trail from the hotel. I was with Dick a few times when we visited Pete when he was building the hotel. I helped Dick remove a temporary bridge over the Creek when he brought in FS to look at the trail hoping they would approve the trail. For years we parked for free on the hotel property until hikers abused the privilege. Garbage in the lot and hikers walking through hotel with dirty boots and nude swimming in the pool. One of the workers who had to pick up the lot told me. There's always people who never think about what they are doing. It only takes one or two to spoil it for the rest of us.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 12th, 2017, 6:45 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:DN, when you use the green line do you just park off of Cascade DR. ?
Yes, directly below the power lines. There is room for 20-25 cars on the quarter mile or so of road in the area.
Very interesting! Guessing maybe right where the balloon arrow points?
(Note: Same owner that's forbidding us access to Aldrich Butte.)
Yep, and you can see a car in the photo parked exactly where I usually park a little farther north of the balloon arrow and almost right across from the powerline road.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 13th, 2017, 6:46 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Yep, and you can see a car in the photo parked exactly where I usually park a little farther north of the balloon arrow and almost right across from the powerline road.
Perfect! Thanks!! :D
  • capture.jpg
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » February 13th, 2017, 8:10 am

fetch wrote:So I take it Washington state has no public access easement laws the trailhead/trail qualifies for? Or judges who will rule in favor of "prescriptive" rights to establish an easement that protects access by the public to historical/established travel paths/trails across private land?
I would think that somebody has to bring a lawsuit to answer these questions?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 17th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Updates? Is anyone working on the public right-of-way angle? It will be a crying shame if the window to act closes on this.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 31st, 2017, 10:32 pm

I drove out this way recently to see for myself. I found "no trespassing; no parking" signs but I didn't seen any actual gates or barriers preventing one from driving the route shown earlier and reposted below, though I didn't go far and I didn't linger. I would think that if the owner had the authority to put up gates or barriers he would have, making me at least wonder if there is a public way there despite the signs, like Kueffler Road?

Has any municipal representative made a clear statement that there does not exist a public way in this area?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 25th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Any news/info since my post in March?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 26th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Webfoot wrote:I drove out this way recently to see for myself. I found "no trespassing; no parking" signs but I didn't seen any actual gates or barriers preventing one from driving the route shown earlier and reposted below, though I didn't go far and I didn't linger. I would think that if the owner had the authority to put up gates or barriers he would have, making me at least wonder if there is a public way there despite the signs, like Kueffler Road?
I too assume that if a property owner has the right to barricade a road, and wishes to restrict traffic, then there would be a gate. The signs, in absence of a gate, can probably be interpreted as chest thumping. However, I have to admit it deters me. I avoid angry confrontations, and driving up Shelly Lane saves a pittance of effort. Considering the Deliverance vibe one gets up there, combined with leaving valuable property (vehicle) behind, plus the possibility that it genuinely is illegal to trespass beyond that bridge (the start of the red line in Webfoot's pic above), I've never driven into the questionable zone. Still, it would be nice to get the facts. Are we all being intimidated by a bully who just wants to keep people out? (perhaps understandable; people can behave like asses when out exploring)

romann

Post by romann » November 27th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Aren't most people used to park at the junction of red & green lines, just above the private property (no guarantee that land owner will check with measuring tape, or even has the same idea of the boundary ;) )? Looks like you're risking for a minute at most, to drive up there from Shelley Lane Rd. Lower junction of that powerline road with SLR had no trespassing sign for quite some time (a few years?) and people still used that short stretch to get to trailhead. Shelley Lane itself may go through private land too, but it goes to other homes so many people besides owner use it every day - but parking there may be an issue.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 28th, 2017, 10:21 am

The parking spot was right past the green line. There were definitely "private property" signs before, though I don't recall if they specified no trespassing, threats of towing the car, etc. Despite one having to drive through that property on the way to the Aldrich TH (and irrespective of whether an implied easement exists... seems likely...), since the TH itself is on public land, it doesn't seem legal for the property owner to have your car towed from out there?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased