What should I plan ahead for or start reserving for 2017?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
buddybiscuit

What should I plan ahead for or start reserving for 2017?

Post by buddybiscuit » January 27th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Last year was my first in the PNW and I managed to do a ton outdoors, but as you'd expect my to-do list somehow still ended up longer by the end of the summer. A big chunk of that was coming across things I wanted to do but required reservations or entering a lottery that I ended up missing out on. For example, Mt St Helens summit permits or the Enchantments lottery. This year, I want to get a jump on 2017 and start planning for anything that requires reservations ahead of time.

What other things are out there that I should be looking for? What's on your planning & reservation list for this year?
Last edited by buddybiscuit on January 29th, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcg

Re: What should I plan ahead for or start reserving for 2017

Post by pcg » January 28th, 2017, 3:03 pm

buddybiscuit wrote:... things I wanted to do but required reservations or entering a lottery that I ended up missing out on. For example, Mt Adams summit permits ...
To my knowledge, reservations have never been required for a Mt Adams climbing permit. You just drive to the Ranger Station in Trout Lake and self-issue a permit at the kiosk.
Last edited by pcg on January 28th, 2017, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 28th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Correct about Adams. Regarding Mt St Helens, a $22 permit is needed most of the year, but if you have the right skills you can just go in winter.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 28th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Peder wrote:Correct about Adams. Regarding Mt St Helens, a $22 permit is needed most of the year, but if you have the right skills you can just go in winter.
You don't need any skills at all (or costly permits) to climb MSH the first week of November — if the weather is agreeable.

drm

Post by drm » January 29th, 2017, 2:40 pm

There actually aren't all that many places in the PNW that require advance permits. Just The Enchantments, MSH summit in season, and in many parts of the national parks (especially for a Wonderland Circuit), plus a few other isolated spots.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 29th, 2017, 4:20 pm

state park and some federal campgrounds require reservations 6 months or 9 months ahead of time

there are some areas west of the cascades like Pemelia Lake or Obsidian area that require permits, I don't know when though

buddybiscuit

Post by buddybiscuit » January 29th, 2017, 5:17 pm

pcg wrote:
buddybiscuit wrote:... things I wanted to do but required reservations or entering a lottery that I ended up missing out on. For example, Mt Adams summit permits ...
To my knowledge, reservations have never been required for a Mt Adams climbing permit. You just drive to the Ranger Station in Trout Lake and self-issue a permit at the kiosk.
Sorry, you're right -- I meant Mt St Helens

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » January 30th, 2017, 12:55 am

Some of the activities will depend on when you plan to do these. August is the busiest month for most Americans to take vacations and things get booked out. Especially weekends. Parks are crowded. Camp grounds can be full. Campground tent sites go first. More expensive RV sites last. If you want car camping/ or Oregon State park yurt or such near a site book it soon.

National Parks vary a bit on regulations. Crater Lake has dispersed backcountry camping with permits so it isn't hard to get when there as not everyone is wanting the same location. Water can be problematic in late summer. As above Rainier Wonderland will be much more difficult with reservations. North Cascades National Park you can't get a backcountry permit till 24 hours before, so no reservations, its more an issue with timing and being first in line.

Here in the PNW June is often more rain and high alpine still snowy, hence less humanity. Are your plans to include the solar eclipse on Aug. 21st then check thread on this for ideas. I would add Jefferson park camping is now a permit as is backcountry camping permits for MSH. Both of these I believe are reservations. So it does take some research based on your bucket list then find as many reserve dates you can get. https://www.recreation.gov/

Water

Post by Water » February 2nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

correction: jefferson park camping in designated spots by the lake is now a permit.

it isn't a permit to camp otherwise, assuming you're in a spot that isn't on top of vegetation, i think..(it simply isn't clear, FS did a bang up job of having an internet permit solve their problems)
Feel Free to Feel Free

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » February 3rd, 2017, 1:24 pm

Water wrote:correction: jefferson park camping in designated spots by the lake is now a permit.

it isn't a permit to camp otherwise, assuming you're in a spot that isn't on top of vegetation, i think..(it simply isn't clear, FS did a bang up job of having an internet permit solve their problems)
Thanks Water. Yes that was what I was referring to. The internet reservation does come up with the reservation on the link above. I am one who likes views more than lakes, so usually I'm on a ridge anyways. Can't say I've been into Jefferson Park for many years. The roads into the area are like what I encountered on the altiplano of South America ;) . They have a lot of rocks in the roads. They have so many rocks there are miles and miles of rock walls. They have so many rocks they have built chapels for the looks like "Jesus or Virgin Mary" rocks. :lol: Has the road into the area improved?