The Death of Anna Schmidt

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
forestkeeper

The Death of Anna Schmidt

Post by forestkeeper » November 14th, 2016, 8:17 am

download.jpg
download.jpg (6.23 KiB) Viewed 4909 times

It was reported that the desceased body of Anna Schmidt was "located at the bottom of a cliff below Munra Point." Is it possible to hike Munra from Toothrock? Wouldn't it be more plausible to park at the Elowah Falls TH? I searched the Tanner Creek Rd area via the 400 a few weeks ago. Any insight?

Thanks
:)

Peder

Re: The Death of Anna Schmidt

Post by Peder » November 14th, 2016, 8:54 am

Munra Point is usually done from the Wahclella Falls trail head, the Tooth Rock trail head is just 0.3 miles further east from there, so it just adds a little walking on the road.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 14th, 2016, 9:37 am

Thanks Peder. I should have went that way instead. I guess it wouldn't have made a difference. :cry: Maybe when the terrain is slippery/wet, especially with leaves, hikers should always be with [at least] another person.

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » November 14th, 2016, 4:02 pm

I hiked Munra Point a few times from a secret trailhead along I-84 just east Moffett Creek.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 14th, 2016, 9:28 pm

As ssinfo 503 said, that "secret" TH is the best and shortest way by far and I often see a car or two parked there. There has been a short user trail from the road directly to the 400 and the start of the Munro route. It has been there for at least 35 years and probably a lot longer than that.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 14th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:As ssinfo 503 said, that "secret" TH is the best and shortest way by far and I often see a car or two parked there. There has been a short user trail from the road directly to the 400 and the start of the Munro route. It has been there for at least 35 years and probably a lot longer than that.
This is the "secret" we're talking about, right?

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 15th, 2016, 9:03 am

I always figured this to be parking for fishermen.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 15th, 2016, 11:14 am

forestkeeper wrote:I always figured this to be parking for fishermen.
The westbound parking pictured is probably used mostly by fishermen but could be hikers as well, just a little farther to walk. The spot I was referring to is the shoulder on the eastbound lanes.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » November 15th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Now the secret is out.
Don Nelsen wrote:
forestkeeper wrote:I always figured this to be parking for fishermen.
The westbound parking pictured is probably used mostly by fishermen but could be hikers as well, just a little farther to walk. The spot I was referring to is the shoulder on the eastbound lanes.

dn

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 15th, 2016, 4:52 pm

[ The spot I was referring to is the shoulder on the eastbound lanes.dn[/quote]

Thanks Don!!! :D I've been wanting to find a shortcut, especially to the creek to take pictures, without parking at Wahclella and taking the paved trail back. Camera, lenses and tripod is a lot to pack around. I did think about riding a mountain bike to access Moffett Creek from I-84 but seemed too much of a hassle, especially for a sasquatch like me. :lol: