The Quiet Pledge: What to do about overcrowding

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
chrisca

Re: The Quiet Pledge: What to do about overcrowding

Post by chrisca » November 20th, 2016, 11:55 am

Limey wrote:...More trails would be nice but the budget isn't there as evidenced by all the non maintained trails. I guess I just don't see a viable solution to the problem.
Actually, the budget is there: http://www.lensjoy.com/Blog/NWFP_Report.htm The Forest Service has plenty of NW Forest Pass money squirreled away in a carryover account. The hiking community needs to put pressure on them to release the money and get it to work improving the trail system. Without hikers speaking out, the money gets diverted to other things, or simply accumulates.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 20th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Is that you? Chris Carvalho? Are you affiliated with some group or anything?

Interesting analysis. I wonder what the Forest Service response would be

Of course, $14 million wouldn't go very far, but still... How many miles of trails could you build with that?

Maybe our congressional representatives would be interested. They are our feedback to the Forest Service.

chrisca

Post by chrisca » November 22nd, 2016, 7:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:Is that you? Chris Carvalho? Are you affiliated with some group or anything?

Interesting analysis...Maybe our congressional representatives would be interested. They are our feedback to the Forest Service.
Yes, that be me. (I disclosed in the spoiler section of the original post after a request.) The Oregonlive.com website has a related story but it leaves some questions unanswered, such as why there's a discrepancy between the carryover fund amounts in the published reports from the FS and what their staff says about the funds. It's at http://bit.ly/2f3WkO1. I'm a member of various groups, but my analysis was done independently and I haven't been paid by anyone for it.

I don't want to hijack this thread on an unrelated topic, so I suggest we start a "NW Forest Pass Fees" thread and discuss the issues there. Here's the link to it:
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =7&t=24834

Writing your elected officials is a good idea. Forest Pass funds need greater scrutiny to be sure they are spent promptly and for the benefit of those paying them. Right now, there are many unanswered questions, and the hiking community hasn't been watching the Forest Service closely enough to encourage hiker-friendly policy.
Last edited by chrisca on November 23rd, 2016, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2016, 8:14 pm

great!

I wish they didn't have to put outhouse, picnic table, and garbage service at the trailhead to be allowed to charge a fee (NW Forest Pass)

I believe that would require an act of congress

I wonder what percentage of fees go towards those

pcg

Post by pcg » November 22nd, 2016, 8:47 pm

You guys are still paying for a NW Forest Pass??? :D

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 22nd, 2016, 9:35 pm

I bought my last ever annual NWFP last July. I'm done shelling out for them. Of course that is because I just crossed the age 62 threshold and I may now purchase a Senior Interagency Pass for $10 which is accepted wherever the NWFP is required and is good for a lifetime. ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 23rd, 2016, 7:15 am

ha, ha,... I'm a year ahead of you

I feel bad because I can afford it but some others have a harder time.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 23rd, 2016, 10:48 am

Perhaps you could assuage your guilt by supporting TKO or WTA with an extra donation?

drm

Post by drm » November 24th, 2016, 11:14 am

I never pay for a NWFP because I get them free by volunteering. I used to volunteer with WTA (which means working on trails) but now I tend to do more with the Forest Service directly, which means monitoring and working on backcountry campsites. Doing this with the FS creates more freedom to choose my time and place than WTA since rangers mostly go to the most visited places, so the less popular ones are the ones that most need volunteer effort. WTA trips are more social though, if you want that. It only requires two days of volunteer time on Federal land to get a free annual NWFP.

LakeOHiker

Post by LakeOHiker » November 25th, 2016, 10:53 pm

I've not posted a lot on this website, (not good with pictures or techie stuff) but I have read Many of your posts. I've enjoyed reading the off trails, long hikes, and all the other trail reports not in the popular hiking books. I have to say I'm sad that many are not posting these trips any more. I liked to think that someday I might venture out to one of this places. For instance when the landslide occurred a few years ago by Table Mountain, I did find my way to go see that. I was a fun experience, got lost up by the sheriffs shooting range, they told us where we went wrong, then parked by an old motor home occupied by a couple, who were very nice and told us that we were In the right place.

I've made a decision not to hike the overused trails and maybe drive a little farther, or just search out other areas, but I miss reading all of you who have posted such great adventures. Maybe I'll get up to explore the old railroad lines up on Larch Mountain, or maybe I'll just keep dreaming, but I do miss many of your posts.
Seeing the World on my own Two Feet!