New Boots and Blisters...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

New Boots and Blisters...

Post by Koda » October 11th, 2016, 7:32 am

I’m kinda losing faith in ever finding a perfect boot again, although I may have recently come close…. Years ago I had the perfect pair of boots, blister free…. I wore them to the ground literally they fell apart. Since then I’ve purchased more boots that I should have to find the right pair...

My most recent new pair fit perfect and do everything I want except I’m getting heel blisters. I’ve duct taped my heels and that helped but not totally… I think it would still be an issue on multi-day hikes and sometimes the tape gets bunched up. I’m willing to try sock liners but don’t like the idea of having to do anything extra just like I don’t like the idea I have to take a roll of duct tape along every hike. To specify these boots are new this summer, heavy duty because I need them to be so they are Zamberlan full hard leather goretex, and mostly use medium thick wool socks like REI or Smartwool brand typically.

I’ve been on a handful of day hikes now with these new boots and I’m wondering is will boots really “break-in” and how long?

http://www.backpacking-tips.com/prevent ... sters.html
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Re: New Boots and Blisters...

Post by Lurch » October 11th, 2016, 7:45 am

Unless you're talking about an all (or mostly) leather boot these days, I think the 'breaking in' period is more to get your feet used to it, and develop callouses where needed more than actually softening up the material..

Changing socks can dramatically change the wear of the boot though. Some people rock a silk liner sock under wools to prevent blisters as well

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 11th, 2016, 7:51 am

Maybe Leukotape instead of duct tape? Stays on better, like for several days.

I had no blisters for a long time, then I started getting them on my toes, then I started getting a size larger boot and I don't get blisters anymore.

The boots I'm using now, I got blisters about where yours were. I think it's because this plastic piece on the outside was "telegraphing" through. I really pushed against it on the inside to stretch it out, and maybe my feet got calluses there, so they now don't give me blisters.

Maybe tighten or loosen your laces?

Try to catch when your foot is pre-blister and put the Leukotape on then.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 11th, 2016, 7:52 am

Yeah, I think "breaking in" was more for leather boots "back in the day".

Koda

Post by Koda » October 11th, 2016, 7:55 am

yes, Im talking full all leather boots...

Zamberlan Vioz GT

Chazz

Post by Chazz » October 11th, 2016, 8:31 am

Have you tried heat-molded insoles? I have a pair of Montrail Bajada's that gave me a a ton of blistering over a five-day hike last year. This year, I used those same shoes but with the Enduro insoles and I had a single blister than that did not show up until after my feet got soaked during a day of rain on day three of a five day trip.

The insoles, once heated and formed to your feet, really cradled my heel much better and there was far less movement inside the shoe.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 11th, 2016, 8:51 am

As I near 28,000 miles on the trail, I had long ago developed a belief that the so-called "breaking in period" for footwear that retailers claim your boots need for them to be wearable is actually a "breakdown period" that your feet go through in an attempt to make a poorly-fitting boot less uncomfortable.

I have purchased Merrill books and only Merrill boots for the past 15 years because my foot does not get torn apart when I walk in the boots. That works for my feet. It may not work for yours.

If the boot doesn't fit int he store, hours of continual friction on the trail won't make them any more comfortable. Try another pair before you settle on a purchase. For $150-$250 dollars, the boots should feel good on your feet.

Same goes with the pack. That neck strain in the store only gets worse over the miles. The straps should help the fit, but some packs just aren't designed for your body type.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 11th, 2016, 9:46 am

I have not tried heat molded insoles and while I wont rule that out they sound expensive. I have an extra thin insole I added and the boot fits perfect one of the best Ive had. The stiff leather is still new so that’s why I’m wondering if there is any way to determine any break in period. Ive gone on about 5 good hikes so far.

Because of they way they fit I’m pretty certain these boots are keepers so in the mean time I’m willing to try whatever, I would just prefer to not have to always do something special… like Leukotape or sock liners…. But maybe a combination of will work and let the leather break in. These boots are otherwise bomber and hold up to the abuse Ive already given them that only full leather can afford.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » October 11th, 2016, 9:49 am

In most cases, heel blisters like that are a result of Heel Lift, where there's a gap between the heel and the back of the boot and they're moving as two separate pieces, not together. That can partially be fixed with sock choice, there are 'ankle wrap' pads that can be put into the boots to customize them, and you can also lace your boots differently.

By putting more tension back towards the heel (orange arrow) you'll seat it in place better. On boots that are a little looser, or taller and have more than one or two eyelets after the ankle transition I'll put a heel lock in and tie an overhand or surgeons knot at the transition point (blue circle) . This actually lets you do a couple things, but primarily it locks that heel tension in better and doesn't allow it to loosen up as your boots relax.. At the pro level of lacing, you can do double lace locks, and actually have different tension levels so you can have looser laces at your toes if you need ;)
boots.jpg
If you truly can't find anything that fits you, it may be time to actually invest in some serious quality leather boots. Whites, and Nicks are both made up in Spokane, custom hand made, to measurements of each foot. They're expensive as hell, and will run you over $400, but can be nearly entirely rebuilt and repaired as needed, so a single pair of boots could last you for years, and they'll actually be fit to you. I believe with Nicks they keep the lasts (mold), and can make you a new pair to fit your feet, or use them to rebuild your existing ones and still maintain the fit.

http://www.whitesboots.com/
http://nicksboots.com/shop/

Chazz

Post by Chazz » October 11th, 2016, 9:52 am

The Enduro inserts are $20 at the Columbia Sportswear employee store and $40 online. If your boots were expensive, they are a potentially cheap fix compared to tossing them to the back of the closet.