Is the Loowit Trail doable in 2 days?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
lpetticord

Is the Loowit Trail doable in 2 days?

Post by lpetticord » September 28th, 2016, 8:33 pm

Is it too much to bite off to do the Loowit Trail in 2 days?

Peder

Re: Is the Loowit Trail doable in 2 days?

Post by Peder » September 29th, 2016, 2:13 am

Well, it can be done as a day hike or you can take longer. If you do it in two days, you have to remember that there is no camping between the South Fork Toutle River and the Windy Pass, so if you start at June Lake (the most convenient), your first day will be either be rather short or rather long. Have fun!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » September 29th, 2016, 4:58 am

The Loowit is totally doable in 2 days. Starting at Monitor Ridge is also a great option.

Your 2 concerns would be water sources and the fact its getting darker sooner. Navigating the lava flows can be difficult in the dark.
PCT class of 2012

Peder

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2016, 12:56 am

I think that I have a map with water sources in September somewhere if you would like a copy.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » October 1st, 2016, 8:15 am

I did it in 2 days. The no-camping zone on the north side limits your options. I started at the June Lake trailhead at 6 a.m., went clockwise for 20 miles, and made camp on the Plains of Abraham just as it was getting dark. That made day 2 pretty easy. I did it in July. With the short days now, though, it'd be more of a challenge.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Water

Post by Water » October 2nd, 2016, 10:27 pm

yes on two days for reasonably fit backpackers.. if you can do a 12-14 mile hike with decent elevation changes in a day, then you can probably push yourself to do a slightly longer day one.

On the West side of the mountain, my geographics map shows the 'restricted area' starting north of the Toutle River, actually in a line from the toutle glacier to castle lake. Make of it what you will...
Feel Free to Feel Free

lpetticord

Post by lpetticord » October 4th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may put it off until the spring. This weekend I'll be going to Mt Margaret area instead :)

Peder

Post by Peder » October 5th, 2016, 8:21 pm

lpetticord wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may put it off until the spring. This weekend I'll be going to Mt Margaret area instead :)
Or head for Coldwater Peak if you have not done that. It is equally fun and requires less driving.