Timberline Trail - tick season over?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
wicker

Timberline Trail - tick season over?

Post by wicker » July 18th, 2016, 9:46 am

Hi folks,
Doing the Timberline Trail loop first week in August. While searching the forum, I saw some references to tick issues in May. Is the season over and should we expect any tick issues in August? Just a bit edgy on this as I got nailed in the Rogue River Valley in early June. (nasty tick bite and antibiotics required).

Thanks for any info!
wicker

adamschneider

Re: Timberline Trail - tick season over?

Post by adamschneider » July 18th, 2016, 9:49 am

Personally, I've never seen a tick on Mt. Hood.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 18th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I agree. There are ticks, but the frequency of an issue is so rare that they aren't even considered to have a season or even be a risk on Mt. Hood for hikers. Perhaps if you lay out in the dirt all week, you might be lucky enough to see one, but after 30 years of hiking in the area I do not even know anyone personally who has seen a tick on Hood, Jefferson or the Three Sisters (or St. Helens, Adams or Rainier).

The Columbia River Gorge and southern Oregon (e.g. Rogue River, Grants Pass) are where I have seen the ticks.

Paul

Post by Paul » July 18th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Ticks are not a problem on Mt Hood. Especially not for people. I;ve been on the mountain from April until Nov, never seen one. My dog has picked up a few as far west as Eagle Creek in the Gorge though.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 18th, 2016, 9:18 pm

I've never seen them on Hood either. The only place I've ever encountered them in the PNW outside the Gorge is in the Clackamas River canyon, which is very similar to the Gorge in many ways.

I don't think the OP has anything to worry about.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

wicker

Post by wicker » July 19th, 2016, 10:58 am

Thanks folks! Appreciate the info...
wicker

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 19th, 2016, 3:23 pm

BigBear wrote:I do not even know anyone personally who has seen a tick on Hood, ...
I know two. First person testimonial.

The world has changed... :x
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 19th, 2016, 7:36 pm

kepPNW wrote:The world has changed... :x
Sadly, I have to agree. Now, true, this is just anecdotal evidence, and it's based on the gorge, but I've had more tick problems in the last six months that in the preceding 50 years. Yes, literally, no exaggeration. Okay, true, I haven't spent my whole life bushwhacking in the gorge, so maybe take this with a grain of deet, but the point is, I personally believe, based on my experience (FWIW) that things are not as they were. [edit: also picked up one near Mt Adams / Trout Lake, which isn't generally considered a hotspot for ticks]