How do you hang your bear bag?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Re: How do you hang your bear bag?

Post by drm » July 13th, 2016, 6:29 am

texasbb wrote:
drm wrote:I would also note that people seem to have no tolerance for risk with even the apparently safest water - they will filter absolutely everything (I don't) - are not worried by this risk. I guess we all have our areas of risk avoidance.
The difference, of course, is that the non-filterer shoulders all the risk himself, while the non-hanger can ruin things for other hikers and the bear too.
Which if anything should make people more willing to be more careful with their food than their water, but I think the opposite is the case.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » July 14th, 2016, 2:56 pm

I just store jet food in my tent. I feel its safer next to me rather than at a distance.
PCT class of 2012

drm

Post by drm » July 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

scrambler2 wrote:I just store jet food in my tent. I feel its safer next to me rather than at a distance.
If a small rodent chews through your tent to get to it, you will probably wake up in time to protect your food, but not before your tent has a hole in it. If a bear rips into your tent . . .

Paul

Post by Paul » July 18th, 2016, 9:03 pm

I have an Ursack. It's a little heavier, but there is notmuch more in the backcountry than slinging rocks or biners over branches. :) I just tie mine at the base of a tree.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 19th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Paul wrote:I have an Ursack...I just tie mine at the base of a tree.
Okay, sorry, maybe it's just me, but I can't see that without thinking of bear scrotum. :?