Solo Backpacking with Child?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
MamaLala

Solo Backpacking with Child?

Post by MamaLala » June 24th, 2016, 3:25 pm

This afternoon I found a hike I really want to do, but it would require (okay, not require - but I wanna!) camping, which means toting in gear. And a baby. I'm getting stronger every time I carry him, but ooo-ee, I don't know about a 25 lb. kid + backpacking tent + sleeping bag and pad + snacks and water, what I would consider a bare minimum. I started to search for one-wheeled hiking trailers, but they all seem to be several hundreds of dollars. Has anyone done this (hiked it all in) and lived to tell? This particular hike would be four miles in, four miles out the next day.

Child isn't walking yet, and no one seems to want to come along to carry all our stuff :lol:

mreha

Re: Solo Backpacking with Child?

Post by mreha » June 24th, 2016, 4:16 pm

It's probably doable, since it's not that far, but I'm wondering about the logistics of having a backpack and a baby carrier on at the same time? Although if you had one of the ones where you carry the baby in the front maybe it would balance out the weight of the pack? :lol:

It also depends on the trail - four miles with a couple thousand feet of elevation gain would be way different from four miles that were relatively flat! Getting over blowdown and/or crossing creeks might be difficult with a heavy, awkward load so that'd be something to consider, too...

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » June 24th, 2016, 4:18 pm

HYOH but to me this sounds like it would be more stress than its worth:) I started doing short hikes with my son when he was about a month old and we've done some 8-9 mile day hikes. He's 17 months now but I still wouldn't want to backpack with him yet. I am going to take him car camping this summer though and do some day hikes. This might be a good alternative.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 24th, 2016, 5:16 pm

The only way I can see it working is with a front baby carrier and a backpack. It would be best to practice that setup at home first, perhaps with a doll... Regardless how well the setup could work, I wouldn’t actually do it without another adult along.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » July 7th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I did this several times when my kids were babies. I just loved backpacking too much to wait until everybody could walk the trails, so I just carried them.

I used an Ergo baby carrier on the front and my pack on the back (wilderness areas don't allow wheels, so forget the stroller). It's a heavy load, but doable. The places I went were 1-4 miles, one-way. One other tip: use disposable diapers and bury their poop (not the diaper, of course) just like you would your own.

It'll be a memorable trip and you'll get a standing ovation from anybody who sees you.

This also works if you have one child in diapers and an older one who can walk the trail.