Safe Parking @Eagle Creek Trailhead

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squatcher

Safe Parking @Eagle Creek Trailhead

Post by squatcher » April 12th, 2016, 11:58 am

Hello Fellow Hikers,

I parked at the furthest in lot at the Eagle Creek Trailhead on Monday April 11 in the morning. I came back to my car and some folks approached me and asked how long had I been on the trail. I said since this morning and then she proceeded to show me all of the broken glass. She was concerned if it was safe to park in this lot. I then saw busted glass at almost every other parking spot. We counted over 10 busted windows! It appears to have happened the day before or earlier. I saw no cars with actual busted windows. This is absolute BS and we should not tolerate it. We should demand that the police or whoever stop these thugs! I have half a mind to catch them myself and would be willing to work with like-minded folks to do the same.

Sore Feet

Re: Safe Parking @Eagle Creek Trailhead

Post by Sore Feet » April 12th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Yeah, it really would be nice if they'd patrol or staff the parking lot there, but the answer has been and likely always will be "no funding". Parking near the fish hatchery is indeed the safest bet, because there are more likely to be people around, but Eagle Creek has always been known for car clouting. I've seen glass in the parking lot, but never had problems there. I did have my window smashed while I was parked at Oneonta Gorge once though - wasn't out of the car more than 30 minutes either. The 'smash and go' potential with the highway right there just makes it too easy, unfortunately.

Other than the standard "leave nothing in your car" line, there's not much one can do. Maybe volunteers watching the parking area, but that's been suggested in the past, and nothing has come of it (as far as I know) because it just takes up a lot of time that a lot of people don't have.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 13th, 2016, 5:45 am

And as long as you are leaving nothing of value in your car (and it's not raining) then you might as well also leave it unlocked with the windows partially down so anyone can see that they don't need to break the glass to see that there's nothing inside. Make it obvious.

drm

Post by drm » April 13th, 2016, 6:43 am

These lots do get patrolled and people have been caught and convicted, but of course they can't sit there all day so it isn't hard for the criminals to work around that. They can post somebody at the edge of a lot while somebody else breaks into cars. You said that you didn't see any broken windows at that time. It's possible that the broken glass you saw has accumulated over some time. I don't know how often it is cleaned up. I'm not trying to make light of it all, but many people have used these places repeatedly for years without being victimized.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 13th, 2016, 9:09 am

These car clouters are the lowest scum on earth. I wish they would all drop dead :evil:

That being said, there are some things to do to avoid being a victim, some of which have already been mentioned:

- Leave absolutely nothing in sight inside the vehicle. No packs, bags, wires, loose change, papers, gear, etc. I mean nothing, not even garbage.
- Leave open the glove compartment, center console, ashtray, sunglasses/garage remote holder. Have nothing in those compartments.
- If you must leave things like shoes or anything else in the car, cover them with a blanket that matches the material around it.
- If leaving things in the trunk, do so before getting to the trailhead.
- At Eagle Creek, park by the camp host near the fish hatchery.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 13th, 2016, 11:48 am

pdxgene wrote:And as long as you are leaving nothing of value in your car (and it's not raining) then you might as well also leave it unlocked with the windows partially down so anyone can see that they don't need to break the glass to see that there's nothing inside. Make it obvious.
This has basically become my habit whenever I park anywhere in the gorge. And (fingers crossed) I've never had any trouble.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 13th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:These car clouters are the lowest scum on earth. I wish they would all drop dead :evil:
That's our problem right there. Passively sitting back and hoping for the appropriate outcome.

I've only been a victim once. I think I left my wallet on the dash. People ask "why did you do that?"
It wasn't deliberate! I just did something stupid and careless. But maybe (probably) they would have broken in anyway.

Adding insult to injury, the body shop (Carr) screwed it up so bad, I took my car to a second shop (Superior in Gresham) and they too screwed me about as bad as the original thieves. My adjuster was astonished at how bad both shops botched the repairs. Eventually, that car was stolen, and my troubles were behind me (my beloved '98 Outback, my first new car).

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2016, 8:28 pm

vigalante - bad - you might end up in jail yourself, or get hurt by the bad guys

I think my car was broken into at nearby Herman Creek Trailhead. Only time of 100s of nights.

Use precautions (above) and break-ins are rare. Occasionally shit happens. Enjoy hiking regardless.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 13th, 2016, 11:10 pm

I found this on Facebook:
12923343_10208917377707498_929330890972802772_n.jpg
I cannot speak to its veracity.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 14th, 2016, 6:24 am

that would say Multnomah Falls was way worse

of course there are way more people there, so the chance of your being broken into isn't so bad

and March may not be the same as later in the season