Hiking pole technique to help knees?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
arlohike

Hiking pole technique to help knees?

Post by arlohike » April 4th, 2016, 9:53 am

In the last few years, my interest and ambition for hiking has grown and surpassed what my knees are willing to put up with. I have some pain on most hikes now, and can't go beyond 8-10 miles without significant pain, especially when descending.

Several people have recommended using hiking poles, so I got some and have been using them all winter. I like a lot of things about them -- I feel like they reduce my overall effort, and they're handy when passing over logs or through streams -- but I don't think they have made any improvement to my knees. Can someone explain the technique for using them on downhills to reduce knee stress? Or share a link? I've found lots of articles saying that using poles can help your knees, but haven't found one that explains specifically how to use them.

What I've been doing is alternating the poles with every second step, so two steps with the left pole, then two steps with the right pole; that's an easy rhythm to maintain at my normal pace. When climbing, I push the poles back behind me and when descending, I plant them in front and try to lean into them. But I don't understand the mechanics of how they can help when descending.

In conjunction with adding the poles, I've been seeing a sports therapist all winter and practicing a regimen of prescribed hip and leg exercises, but this has also had little effect.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

kepPNW

Re: Hiking pole technique to help knees?

Post by kepPNW » April 4th, 2016, 11:50 am

Are you using the straps? I mean, really using the straps? The connection between your hands and the pole handles should be easy, loose, flexible. Not unlike a knee joint. And the straps should act like the ligaments that bind the bones together to form a hinge. If the joint isn't flexible, you're gripping too tight, and losing much of the benefit. (Maybe even causing more work!) It's critical to put your hand in from below, as in this video:
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQFPL2lpMY
To get the most benefit from the poles on an incline, you "need" (said to deflect the oncoming criticisms) to move them with each step, not every other. At least when going up; going down it's not always so synchronized. This way, they can put you into "AWD" mode, transferring much (up to 30%) of the locomotion and braking to your upper body.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 4th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Poles can help, but if you're already having some serious knee pain that's not being alleviated with physical therapy and strengthening exercises, the poles probably aren't going to make much difference. They can help reduce strain and fatigue overall (especially when your pack is heavy), but they don't magically diminish the impact on your knees while descending.
kepPNW wrote: To get the most benefit from the poles on an incline, you "need" (said to deflect the oncoming criticisms) to move them with each step, not every other. At least when going up; going down it's not always so synchronized. This way, they can put you into "AWD" mode, transferring much (up to 30%) of the locomotion and braking to your upper body.
I would agree with this, especially w/r/t going uphill. (One hand plants a pole, digs in, and the opposite foot goes forward, then the other hand, other foot, etc. Going up with poles is great, because it's like having 4 legs, two of which are arms/poles.) Going downhill, especially when it's steep, is harder to coordinate because it depends on the terrain, speed, etc. If your descent is not super steep and/or you're going slowly, you may be able to do the opposing foot/pole rhythm. However, on steeper terrain, I find it's more strenuous (and hard on the knees) to go slowly, as you have to strain more to oppose your downward momentum, so I end up kinda trotting downhill, planting a pole and pivoting on/dragging it for braking every couple of steps.

It's also nice to be able to plant one or both poles ahead of you and then lean onto them and hop your feet down when you go down rocky spots or over tree roots - kind of like having crutches, the poles support you momentarily. That is probably the kind of situation where I feel poles really do make the most difference going downhill.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Here are my very opinionated thoughts on the subject. You want to get significant weight on the poles (i.e., off your legs), so:
  1. Use the straps. Strapless poles are about as much use as a strapless pack.
  2. Use the straps correctly. Up through the bottom, down over the top. You should be able to put almost all your weight on the strap without really holding on to the grip at all.
  3. Get the pole length right, and that means a lot shorter than most of the advice you hear. You can't shift weight to the poles if they're not well under you. I recommend belly button length + adjustment to taste. That's about seven inches shorter for me than the usual advice. Ignore the usual advice; it's wrong if you want to unweight your legs.
  4. The downhill rhythm needs to be syncopated. You plant the right pole about halfway through the stride before the left foot falls, then ditto the other side. That gives you time to get weight on the pole before slamming your foot down and makes the step less jarring. It takes a little practice at first, but soon becomes natural. If you're stepping twice for each pole plant there is no way you're taking significant weight off your legs.
Edit: I meant to give my credentials...I hike on knees that have been playing outdoor basketball (i.e., concrete court) 3x/week for the last 30 years, and they tell me how to use my poles. :)
Last edited by texasbb on April 4th, 2016, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 4th, 2016, 2:35 pm

maybe do leg muscle strengthening exercises?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 4th, 2016, 6:35 pm

arlohike wrote:In the last few years, my interest and ambition for hiking has grown and surpassed what my knees are willing to put up with. I have some pain on most hikes now, and can't go beyond 8-10 miles without significant pain, especially when descending.
I have a bad back and pain usually sets in a mile or two into a hike and often becomes "significant" at three to four miles, so I'd "kill" to be able to hike as far as you can. I have found hiking poles useful for my condition, especially on the expectedly painful return, but ironically I think they irritate my knees. It may just be that I hike longer when using them and that reveals and existing weakness; I don't know.

At least for me having shock-absorbing poles (from Leki) makes a significant difference as I can plant the poles harder and in better rhythm with my steps, which seems to be key in transferring weight.

Something else that has helped has been the switch to "minimalist" footwear. If you haven't tried that yet I think you should as it is proven to reduce impact forces, but make the transition slowly and carefully, and read about it first.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 5th, 2016, 6:03 am

Webfoot wrote:At least for me having shock-absorbing poles (from Leki) makes a significant difference as I can plant the poles harder and in better rhythm with my steps, which seems to be key in transferring weight.
I had just the opposite takeaway with those. To me, they seemed to make my arms and upper body work harder, as I didn't get the solid resistance with each plant. Kind of like breaking through the crust, and sinking 4" into the snow, with each step. (They also made more noise, which may have just been that particular pair?)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » April 5th, 2016, 6:39 am

Dear Arlohike:

You haven't given us armchair pundits any details, like your age, sex, and level of fitness.

Since strengthening exercises and trekking poles haven't helped much, possibly you are suffering from over use injury--tendonitis/micro tears/micro fracture. Think shin splints, plantar fasciaitis.

These are issues that become worse with age, and do not resolve if the activity causing the problem is continued.

Explosive movement, as emphasized by cross-fitness and interval training, should probably be avoided. Ditto high impact--so no running or fast speeds on downhills.

Did the personal trainer look at your footwear with regards to foot/ankle/knee alignment?

Perhaps a switch to swimming or bicycling followed by a gradual reintroduction of hiking would help?

Good luck, you are not alone!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » April 5th, 2016, 10:06 am

I have had knee issues since I was a kid. I keep my poles in front of me and put a lot of pressure on the straps. I also lengthen them before descending. The big thing that seems to work for me is side stepping on the downhills. It slows me down a bit, but my knees are much happier. I also take 600 mg of ibuprofen at the summit to relieve the pain.
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

arlohike

Post by arlohike » April 5th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Thanks, everyone. I was not using the straps as shown in the video above, so I will make that change. Also, I had tried moving the poles with every step and just felt spastic, but I will give that some more practice. It took a couple hikes to get the two-step rhythm down, so I guess I can learn this, too!

To provide more info, I'm a 42 year old male and have been a cyclist for 25 years with always a little knee trouble there. I added hiking in the off-season a few years ago and the knee pain from that has gotten worse each year and is significantly worse than while cycling. I am generally active and healthy, light weight, and use only a small hip pack and light hiking shoes. I think part of the problem is that I enjoy getting a good cardio workout, but my knees can't keep up with the speed and distance that the rest of me feels comfortable with.

The physical therapist has not looked into my footwear other than recommending some basic aftermarket insoles, which I have. Ibuprofin helps, as does icing my knees the night before a hike. I'm generally limited to hiking on weekends, but I always do an easier hike before a harder one, like four relatively flat miles on Saturday followed by eight hilly miles on Sunday.

Regarding the hiking poles, I have the Black Diamond "Trail Pro Shock" model with little gel inserts. They take the edge off each impact, without adding any noticeable compression or sound. They are noticeably heavier than my friend's carbon fiber z-poles, but more comfortable to use. I will work on the one-step walking rhythm next weekend and report back.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)