Is sleeping without a tent safe?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: Is sleeping without a tent safe?

Post by Chip Down » February 21st, 2016, 8:39 pm

If you're worried about the safety of sleeping without a tent, just pick routes sufficiently dangerous that your anxiety is focused on the next day's hike. Problem solved!

Anyway, I need at least a bivy sack with netting over the opening. I hate the thought of critters getting friendly with me when I'm sleeping.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 22nd, 2016, 6:38 am

Chip Down wrote:I hate the thought of critters getting friendly with me when I'm sleeping.
I awoke once, in the Appalachians, to a skunk sitting on top of my bag. No good choices at that moment.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » February 22nd, 2016, 7:21 am

I admit that our lush rainforests intimidate me a bit re cowboy camping. It seems there must be some creatures out there who would like to share my warm sleeping bag. But when I camp along the Deschutes, I don't seem to have that feeling.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 22nd, 2016, 9:17 am

Last year, we decided (after hauling the tent for miles) to sleep in the boxcar on the Deschutes. It was the most restless night I have ever spent outdoors. Sure, there is shelter over head and on all sides but the windows are missing, as are the doors. Something psychological about not having the enclosed space of the tent really did a number on my brain, especially when I heard the coyotes howling, saw very fresh and numerous scat outside of the boxcar for a midnight potty break, and looked at our little 25 pound dog and wondered if I had made the best choice. As others pointed out, that thin layer of nylon really doesn't protect you from anything but I think the semblance of protection can go a long way toward easing the mind. Now, we haul the 4-6 pounds of tent, regardless :D .
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Lurch

Post by Lurch » February 22nd, 2016, 9:26 am

a proper tarp shelter can scratch off 1, 2, and 4 off your list, and proper shelter placement could largely mitigate bugs.... So why do you need a tent?

Koda

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2016, 11:00 am

Lurch wrote:and proper shelter placement could largely mitigate bugs.... So why do you need a tent?
Id like to learn how placement mitigates bugs? especially skeeters.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » February 22nd, 2016, 11:25 am

I do sleep cowboy style in late season when bugs and weather are less problematic. I snore, so things are better around camp the next morning if I go cowboy. And I have had mice and squirrels scamper over me, but this gives me pause:

http://www.timesrecord.com/news/2015-10 ... bitin.html

Tents do add warmth and rain/dew/fog/bug protection, so I would carry one if travelling solo. In bear areas we cook and store our food away from where we sleep. Dropping weight is great but there are trade offs. "Ultra light, freeze at night."
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » February 22nd, 2016, 11:34 am

Koda wrote:
Lurch wrote:and proper shelter placement could largely mitigate bugs.... So why do you need a tent?
Well staying away from mosquito infested stagnant water would be one way :lol: Pay attention to wind direction, and camp in a breezy location, smudge fires, and getting yourself off the ground to mitigate the crawly ones. Packing a mosquito net would add very little to your overall weight, but I'll lump that in here too. "Campsites" are generally for convenience.. they're not necessarily the best location to bivy, especially since most of them are prime habitat for buzzing and crawling critters. Calm to no wind, water nearby, and lots of shade.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2016, 1:14 pm

Lurch wrote:
Koda wrote:
Well staying away from mosquito infested stagnant water would be one way :lol: Pay attention to wind direction, and camp in a breezy location, smudge fires, and getting yourself off the ground to mitigate the crawly ones. Packing a mosquito net would add very little to your overall weight, but I'll lump that in here too. "Campsites" are generally for convenience.. they're not necessarily the best location to bivy, especially since most of them are prime habitat for buzzing and crawling critters. Calm to no wind, water nearby, and lots of shade.
Yeah, even with all that there can still be bug issues. Most always when I leave my bug net behind to shave a pound. Most times I don’t have much choice in location especially camping off trail. Yeah there are things you can do to mitigate bugs but I’ve battled them even after all that.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2016, 1:18 pm

IMO I do think even a nylon tent does offer some minor protection in most cases… I don’t think it offers protection from a full on attack, in fact might make things worse in that case but here in Oregon we don’t have grizzlies (yet) which are the only predator I’ve read about that will full on attack thru a tent barrier and without warning. I’ll admit I’m uncertain how wolves would respond to a tent if they decided they didn’t want you there.

Evan a thin nylon tent is a barrier a predator has to get thru to satisfy its curiosity for food or other discoveries (your snoring… ) that can give you some warning sign. Most of the time a predator is just sniffing for food or curiously checking out the tent or person (sans tent) but the tent gives the person some small amount of time to wake up and respond if the animal suddenly feels threatened in some way. Better than waking up with a bear licking your face or a skunk sitting on your bag...