What in the hay now?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Bosterson

What in the hay now?

Post by Bosterson » January 27th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Is this a new thing on Google Maps? Jesus...
Horsetail.jpg
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Lurch

Re: What in the hay now?

Post by Lurch » January 27th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Unfortunately no..

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » January 27th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Its worse than that. Google street view for trails. It is happening. Check out this one on Grand Canyon NP. Helps to have fast broadband.

https://maps.google.com/maps/about/behi ... nd-canyon/

Pretty soon we'll be able to virtually hike. Not sure that's a good thing but will reduce our carbon footprint.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 27th, 2016, 2:01 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:Its worse than that...

Pretty soon we'll be able to virtually hike.
Yeah, they did one for the Nose on El Capitan a while back, and just did one for the whole Mont Blanc massif. Interesting, but what I (and Lurch) was worried about is that putting ROA on a Gmap will give more people the idea to go out there, increasing impact and (possibly) creating SARs.

I wonder if you could ask Google to remove it since it's not an official trail...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Bosterson wrote:I wonder if you could ask Google to remove it since it's not an official trail...
I'd have to imagine that they'd be inclined to say, "If it exists, we'll map it!"
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 27th, 2016, 2:55 pm

And we thought the Internet was a force only for good. :roll:
Last edited by VanMarmot on January 28th, 2016, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koda

Post by Koda » January 27th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Bosterson wrote:I wonder if you could ask Google to remove it since it's not an official trail...
I would try if I wasn't at work.

The arch itself isn't exactly the safest place to hang out, cant imagine if it got more popular. Unofficial trail, dangerous... seems like Google wouldn't want that liability.

Where is Google getting this info from? My guess is user input. I wonder what we can do to discourage people from sharing unofficial GPS info on the web?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Koda wrote:I wonder what we can do to discourage people from sharing unofficial GPS info on the web?
Data wants to be free!

I've been saying that since the early-90s, when this propensity first became painfully obvious. Regardless of how lofty the intentions may be, there is simply no way to prevent data from going wherever it wants to go if you don't have the only copy. (The RIAA will attest to this.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » January 27th, 2016, 5:41 pm

kepPNW wrote:Data wants to be free!
sigh... true.

think about what the outdoors will be like in the future. Where you can see exactly what its like before ever going there...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rock+ ... 67!6m1!1e1
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » January 27th, 2016, 6:50 pm

Bosterson wrote:
BurnsideBob wrote:Its worse than that...

Pretty soon we'll be able to virtually hike.
Interesting, but what I (and Lurch) was worried about is that putting ROA on a Gmap will give more people the idea to go out there, increasing impact and (possibly) creating SARs.
Bosterson, I agree--if you build it they will come.

Someone doing 'street view' on ROA would be worse yet. And I've read you can borrow Google's gear--the main unit weighs 45 lbs--if they vetted you and your route and they got the images.

Anyhow, I've backed off on writing trip reports for XC routes. As a forum member I thought contributing to the group's knowledge was the essence of participation and being a good member. But I've been rethinking that. If the adventure was really neat, the destination won't benefit from increased attention--and if not a good adventure, why bother?

So my current thinking is to not write about XC routes. People interested in 'detrailed' trips can figure out their own adventures, and the people unready to craft their own are better served by the trail guide.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.