What in the hay now?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
potato

Re: What in the hay now?

Post by potato » March 28th, 2016, 10:12 am

romann wrote:These elements are important imho, but discussions about user impact centered on hikers take focus away from far bigger problems.
Thank you, that is what I mean.

Thru-hiking really changed my perspective on this. Nobody wants to see beer cans, TP flowers, eroded switchbacks, or other signs of "improper" hiking. It demonstrates a lack of respect for nature. But... have you seen what we did to the countless square miles of forest that are now vast residential and industrial areas? Have you seen the clearcuts, mining, roads, farms? The cars and trucks burning millions of gallons of petroleum every day? Do we realize that the products we rely on every day, the food we eat, the houses we live in, and the cars we drive, directly drive the destruction of the environment in a much more significant way? To me it feels hypocritical or petty to complain about trail erosion while still participating in our society. And Bosterson I'm not trying to make a dig at you personally for starting this thread, I know you avoid meat for example and make other choices to reduce impact; I'm more complaining against a general attitude that I see from "nature lovers" who really view nature as a personal therapy zone where they can go once a week when they are able to escape their crazy jobs, and throw a fit if it doesn't cater to their needs. They take from nature with their lifestyles all week and then when they visit in person they expect to be surrounded by pristine perfection. If someone has discarded trash or trampled a plant or plays music, it's a disturbance to their inherent right to have the nature experience they need. Sometimes the anger is because "I only have a short amount of time to enjoy this and they're ruining it for me!", in which case I think the real angst is that they're choosing to spend their lives working a job they don't like.

An analogous complaint I have is "animal lovers" (people who have pets), when they still eat meat, and they feed their animals bags of other animals. OK you're excited about the way a certain animal makes you feel and are willing to protect that, but the billions of "designated food animals" can suffer all day and it's fine. That's not being an animal lover that's just being a human pet lover.

My view isn't that we should accept increasing damage to wilderness areas because meh, people. My view is that realistically, our civilization is insanely destructive, and just because we've arbitrarily designated one section of land as wilderness and another section as privately owned, it doesn't make it OK to destroy one area and terrible to litter in another. We need to be accountable for what we do everywhere, because our boundaries make no difference to the ecosystems that live there. Legality is not the same as morality. Even if our wilderness areas remain perfectly pristine, the rest of our environment is going to shit so how does that help?

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't post about unofficial trails and destinations... sometimes I choose not to reveal my favorite places because they seem better as a secret. So I get what you guys mean. Yet I find places like cool hot springs by finding other people's reports so I also benefit when people share secret places. I guess I feel neutral about it overall. I don't think the availability of information is the problem, I think it's what people do with it. I kind of think all we can do is go where we enjoy going, and do our best to help out with cleanliness and educate people when we get the opportunity. And understand that nature isn't always there to meet our expectations, we need to accept whatever reality we see.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 28th, 2016, 10:43 am

No worries, Joe. I didn't think you were picking on me, and for what it's worth, I do agree with your larger point about missing the forest for the trees, so to speak:
potato wrote:My view is that realistically, our civilization is insanely destructive, and just because we've arbitrarily designated one section of land as wilderness and another section as privately owned, it doesn't make it OK to destroy one area and terrible to litter in another. We need to be accountable for what we do everywhere, because our boundaries make no difference to the ecosystems that live there. Legality is not the same as morality.
Definitely, people could literally crawl all over the hillside by ROA until there are no plants left there alive, and in the grand scheme of things, this would be irrelevant compared to shale oil and fracking and mountaintop removal and PFOA contamination and oceanic dead zones and global warming, not to mention income inequality, universal suffrage, the gender-wage gap, institutional racism - the list goes on and on.

However, as you note:
potato wrote:as others have reminded me before... this is a hiking forum, so it is an appropriate place to focus on trail topics.
I think you (and Markh752, et al) are reading too much into this. Every so often people here get into a big debate about whether we should TR our "secret" places, offtrail in general, etc. It's a pretty boring discussion at this point, and I wasn't trying to start it anew. I've mostly stopped TRing anywhere neat that I go off trail for the very reasons people are concerned about, and if you think that ROA is a "secret," then it's time to get reacquainted with the Gorge.

All of Bruce's points about the availability of information on the internet and the growing size of the Portland population are astute and accurate. But the issue I was trying to bring up is that we have a couple of very popular "non-maintained" trails that are at risk of serious damage from the influx of users. This is especially pronounced with ROA right now, since there's so much damage to the trail bed that people are carving new paths all over the hillside. So you can say this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, which is true, but that's irrelevant if you also believe that, say, people shouldn't cut switchbacks, or should pick up their trash outside. LNT is LNT, trail maintenance is trail maintenance, regardless of where you are.

Trails like Munra and ROA are not graded the same as "normal" trails, which makes them prone to braiding and damage in a way that other trails in the Gorge are not. The FS does not maintain them, which means that the damage is not likely to be repaired. The only point I am trying to make is to suggest that some sort of official body should "promote" these user paths into "official" trails so that they can be kept up. In other words, it's not about keeping secrets, but about what happens when "unofficial" trails become as popular as "official" trails, and what to do about it. If you think the answer is that we should do nothing, because there are bigger problems in the world, that's fine - but as you said, this is a hiking forum, and I would guess most people approve of at least some level of trail maintenance - and if that should happen on other trails in the Gorge, MHNF, the PNW was a whole, why not here?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 28th, 2016, 10:48 am

VanMarmot wrote:I should say that during a 1,000 miles (in 2015) of hiking down here in the provincial south (and Nor Cal), we encountered no more than 3-4 dozen other hikers - suggesting that the hoards are something of an urban problem. So, if you have any hoards to spare, feel free send them on down here - we'll be happy to make room for them in our tourist economy!
When I moved to Clark County in 1989, it reminded me a lot of when I moved to Beaverton in 1973. At the time, the grass strip airfield in Beaverton had become a strip mall surrounded by tech centers. Didn't take much more than the same amount of time for the grass strip airfield on Mill Plain (and it's surrounding farmlands) to be similarly paved over. That's just a long-winded way of saying, be careful what you wish for. :)

Meanwhile, up on the I-90 corridor, here's the summit of Mailbox Peak last Saturday:
And Rattlesnake Ledge a couple weeks ago:
Relatively speaking, Dog Mountain and Tom, Dick & Harry are still relatively calm and quiet. :roll:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 28th, 2016, 1:55 pm

kepPNW wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:I should say that during a 1,000 miles (in 2015) of hiking down here in the provincial south (and Nor Cal), we encountered no more than 3-4 dozen other hikers - suggesting that the hoards are something of an urban problem. So, if you have any hoards to spare, feel free send them on down here - we'll be happy to make room for them in our tourist economy!
When I moved to Clark County in 1989, it reminded me a lot of when I moved to Beaverton in 1973. At the time, the grass strip airfield in Beaverton had become a strip mall surrounded by tech centers. Didn't take much more than the same amount of time for the grass strip airfield on Mill Plain (and it's surrounding farmlands) to be similarly paved over. That's just a long-winded way of saying, be careful what you wish for. :)
Point taken, Karl. I was just thinking you could loan us some of your hoards for the summer, not that they should all actually move here (invoking the ghost of Tom McCall). But if Grants Pass starts looking like Seattle or Portland, then I guess we'll have to move yet further into the back of beyond... :?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 28th, 2016, 1:59 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
Point taken, Karl. I was just thinking you could loan us some of your hoards for the summer, not that they should all actually move here (invoking the ghost of Tom McCall). But if Grants Pass starts looking like Seattle or Portland, then I guess we'll have to move yet further into the back of beyond... :?
I'm thinking y'all are probably pretty safe for a while, still. ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...