Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Markh752

Valhalla: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

Post by Markh752 » December 23rd, 2015, 8:27 am

This was posted on NWHikers this morning. There is very little information about what was discovered.

CascadeClimbers post from July 2014: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... /1145698/1

Page 2 of the December 2015 Oregon Field Guide hints that they will have an article in February 2016: http://res.cloudinary.com/bdy4ger4/imag ... o72vmz.pdf

Aimless

Re: Amazing Geological Wonder Discovered in Oregon

Post by Aimless » December 23rd, 2015, 9:59 am

I'm glad that Oregon Field Guide will make the Big Reveal, since they have such excellent and highly experienced videographers. I am sure it will be worth the time spent watching it, whatever the heck it turns out to be. At least this thing isn't in Washington State or, still worse, California!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am

what a tease :)

I'll have to make sure and watch that, which I do regardless

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » February 1st, 2016, 8:17 am

This is a slot canyon is in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/valhalla ... der-gorge/

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 1st, 2016, 9:25 am

Please note that the community on Cascade Climbers was sick of landmarks with Norse-inspired names, and so rechristened this slot canyon HYPERBOLE CANYON.

However cool a slot canyon near Mt. Jefferson is, the ongoing CC banter about it is much more amusing. :D
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » February 1st, 2016, 11:23 am

I've been completely obsessed with this canyon for years. I almost made it to the Valhalla Gorge once on a long, long day of bushwhacking that nearly did us in. But I spent years exploring and photographing its surroundings, and though I never made it into that gorge I've always known it was there. I just didn't know what it looked like from the inside, and it is almost impossible to see even from nearby as it is so narrow it blends into its surroundings. Seeing the video footage brought me almost indescribable joy, along with the knowledge there's almost no way I'll ever get to see it in person.

The Mount Jefferson Wilderness is my favorite place on this planet and seeing new discoveries like this only serves to reinforce my love of the place.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 1st, 2016, 2:01 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:
The Mount Jefferson Wilderness is my favorite place on this planet and seeing new discoveries like this only serves to reinforce my love of the place.
Kind of amazing, considering how you can't even access the ENTIRE eastern side of the mountain due to the Warm Springs Reservation. Just imagine what's over there!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » February 1st, 2016, 2:08 pm

miah66 wrote:
mattisnotfrench wrote:
Kind of amazing, considering how you can't even access the ENTIRE eastern side of the mountain due to the Warm Springs Reservation. Just imagine what's over there!
At least there's Google Earth. I've spent dozens of evenings poring over Google Earth looking for new stuff in that area.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

arundodonax

OPB story on Secret Slot Canyon in Jeffy Wilderness

Post by arundodonax » February 2nd, 2016, 9:03 pm

Take a look at the promo and article for this soon to air story on OPB on 2/4 - looks awesome!

http://www.opb.org/news/series/valhalla ... der-gorge/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrWejo3yFBk

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » February 4th, 2016, 9:13 am

miah66 wrote: Just imagine what's over there!

The Seven Cities of Cibola??

When everything is discovered and mapped to the centimeter, will we be any richer? We need 'terra incognita' on which to project our dreams, fears, fantasies, and hopes.

I am really excited to view the Oregon Field Guide episode. But I am hoping the episode is vague enough to leave some mystery.

Happy Off Trails!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.