Badger Lake Fire

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Limey

Badger Lake Fire

Post by Limey » October 6th, 2015, 9:06 am

I only just found out about this so I'm posting it in case others don't know.http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... _caus.html Hope they get it under control soon.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Badger Lake Fire

Post by mattisnotfrench » October 6th, 2015, 9:52 am

Ugh. I guarantee it's human-caused, probably from a leftover campfire. I hate to assume, but knowing Badger Lake's reputation, I doubt I'm wrong.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Koda

Post by Koda » October 6th, 2015, 10:49 am

well that sucks, just when I thought summer was over...

I dont think its at Badger Lake CG... the article only says its closed with the road and 479 trail. That lends me to suspect the camp Windy CG or Bonnie Crossing CG leftover campfire. I imagine conditions are still very dry over there.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

rolled

Post by rolled » October 6th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Saturday was the first day of rifle season. That puts a bunch of extra knuckleheads out there; its like a holiday weekend.

Paul

Post by Paul » October 6th, 2015, 6:38 pm

rolled wrote:Saturday was the first day of rifle season. That puts a bunch of extra knuckleheads out there; its like a holiday weekend.
I'm guessing it was a granola eating, atheist, backpacker trying out a liquid-fuel pop-can stove. :D
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

jloomis

Post by jloomis » October 6th, 2015, 6:45 pm

I was fishing at Badger Lake on Friday and did not notice any "knuckleheads" (Please remember only some hunters are irresponsible just like some hikers are too. Every activity group has it's bad apples and shouldn't be judged by those.).

There was one small group (two rigs) camped near the dam. I don't believe they were hunters. There was also a father with a handful of kids fishing for the day on the NW shore of the lake. I did not notice them having a campfire.

The wildfire is on the NW side of the lake, but a distance away from the shore.

When we left Friday afternoon we passed one vehicle likely headed to the lake.

There was a storm that rolled through the area Friday night into Saturday. I believe the fire started Friday night as we saw Forest Service rigs drive towards Badger lake that evening. On Saturday afternoon they informed us about the fire. I don't recall any thunder and lighting during the storm, but it is entirely possible. It is still very dry up there and the NW side of Badger Lake has tons of downed trees and dry fuel on the ground. This wildfire is a very good thing for the area as long as it doesn't get out of hand and can be mostly contained to the wilderness which appears to be their goal.

We saw 8-9 trucks carrying firefighters to Badger Lake this afternoon, so it appears the forest service is ramping up their efforts.
When not working I'm playing! Browse my adventures.

happytrailz

Post by happytrailz » October 6th, 2015, 7:34 pm

There always seems to be a large anti gun and a lot of hunter bashing on this site. There are "Knuckle Head Hikers" also. Its disappointing because i hunt, target shoot, and also do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I am safe, responsible, and respect the environment. Yes, there are bad apple hunters and target shooters, but i can say the same for backpackers and hikers. I have cleaned up trash at Jefferson Park, Pamelia Lake, Diamond Peak Wilderness just to name a few. I have seen people in the wilderness having campfires during fire bans.These were not the dreaded hunters. they are your average backpacker. Liberals always talk the talk about being inclusive and accepting of everyone, but in reality its only if we fit your mold. What you should worry about is the Government wanting to sell off and privatize our public lands. The only way to insure that this does not happen is for all outdoor enthusiast groups to ban together and let your Congressman know you oppose it.
If our forests become privatized I will not be able to hunt or shoot on that land. And you will not be able to hike on it. Just look at Weyerhaeuser, they are now charging access and lease fees for a large portion of there timberlands in Oregon and Washington. I know this firsthand. For years i have hiked a tract of Weyerhauser land near my home. This year they leased it to a private group and I and others can no longer step foot on the property.

Paul

Post by Paul » October 6th, 2015, 7:44 pm

happytrailz wrote:There always seems to be a large anti gun and a lot of hunter bashing on this site. There are "Knuckle Head Hikers" also. Its disappointing because i hunt, target shoot, and also do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I am safe, responsible, and respect the environment. Yes, there are bad apple hunters and target shooters, but i can say the same for backpackers and hikers. I have cleaned up trash at Jefferson Park, Pamelia Lake, Diamond Peak Wilderness just to name a few. I have seen people in the wilderness having campfires during fire bans.These were not the dreaded hunters. they are your average backpacker. Liberals always talk the talk about being inclusive and accepting of everyone, but in reality its only if we fit your mold. What you should worry about is the Government wanting to sell off and privatize our public lands. The only way to insure that this does not happen is for all outdoor enthusiast groups to ban together and let your Congressman know you oppose it.

I'm an outdoorsman. I'm a hiker, backpacker, rifle hunter, AND offroader. Yes, with gasoline. And I have a diesel truck. :) And a firefighter.

I've been on this forum for quite a while, and there have definitely have been intolerant people toward me in the past. It's unfortunate, because we all enjoy the wilderness and forests.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Koda

Post by Koda » October 6th, 2015, 7:46 pm

happytrailz wrote:Liberals always talk the talk about being inclusive and accepting of everyone, but in reality its only if we fit your mold.
aint that the truth. They are blinded by their own bias...

it could be anyone irresponsible be it a hunter, a granola head backpacker with an alcohol pop can stove, an honest accident by someone otherwise responsible... or it could have been natural lightning. We dont know, but if there is a chance to bash a hunter or target shooter here on this forum it will be exploited without moderation. Its a shame.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 6th, 2015, 7:56 pm

I appreciate the positive remarks in this thread for the more diverse outdoorsmen and women who respect all forest users.