Obsidian Limited Entry Area Trailhead Thefts

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
4DMTNS

Obsidian Limited Entry Area Trailhead Thefts

Post by 4DMTNS » September 23rd, 2015, 6:13 am

Just a quick FYI for anyone thinking of going out this way in the next few weeks. We ran into several vehicles with windows smashed out, parking spaces with vehicle glass, new (?) signage at the trailhead about increased thefts in the area, and met one of the unfortunate people who had their vehicle broken into on Saturday 19 September between 0600-1400.

We chose to not use our permit, and instead took a few shorter hikes at other lakes up that way. Our favorite was the short hike up to Benson Lake.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

miah66

Re: Obsidian Limited Entry Area Trailhead Thefts

Post by miah66 » September 23rd, 2015, 1:22 pm

SON OF A!!!!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Zia

Post by Zia » September 25th, 2015, 11:09 am

Crud! I was just looking at a permit for Sunday. Think I will pass on this and find someplace else.. :cry:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 25th, 2015, 11:14 am

I don't know that there is valid statistical data that Obsidian is more or less likely to have a break-in

I parked 4 nights at Whitewater trailhead. In parking lot, someone said there was a break-in reported. My car was okay.

Maybe just follow standard procedure - don't leave anything visible that might attract a break-in. Assume you might be rarely broken into

Water

Post by Water » September 25th, 2015, 1:37 pm

one more thing your NW forest pass pays for [edit: "security/patrols" or whatever they call it]. maybe their yearly press release can mention catching a car clouter ever..
Last edited by Water on September 25th, 2015, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 25th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Water wrote:one more thing your NW forest pass pays for. maybe their yearly press release can mention catching a car clouter ever..
Unless they break in just to steal your pass.... :P

Then the pass caused your break in too.... :twisted:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 25th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Sherrif patrols car clouters.

NW Forest Pass doesn't pay for this

It does pay for out house, picnic table, garbage service, administration fees, I'm not sure about enforcement. And a little for trail maintenance.

romann

Post by romann » September 25th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Does anyone but car clouters use picnic tables at trailhead? It would make them look a lot more suspicious if they just had to walk around parking lot (or sit in the truck) without a good place to "picnic" ;)

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 25th, 2015, 4:06 pm

romann wrote:Does anyone but car clouters use picnic tables at trailhead? It would make them look a lot more suspicious if they just had to walk around parking lot (or sit in the truck) without a good place to "picnic" ;)
I use them sometimes in winter when there's a closed gate that my car is behind a few more miles down the road (Ramona Falls for example).. But that's probably not what you meant... :lol:

-Q-

Post by -Q- » September 25th, 2015, 5:04 pm

romann wrote:Does anyone but car clouters use picnic tables at trailhead? It would make them look a lot more suspicious if they just had to walk around parking lot (or sit in the truck) without a good place to "picnic" ;)
Yup, I use them all the time since I sleep in my truck at trailheads as a basecamp, then day hike out. I probably use the tables more than 90% of people though. I rarely see them used.