Beginning of the End?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kepPNW

Beginning of the End?

Post by kepPNW » September 7th, 2015, 7:51 am

Is it possible the USFS has given up on the Northwest Forest Pass?

All the customary elements (picnic table, pit toilet, trash can, and informational kiosk) were present. And yet...
    Spotted yesterday at Falls Creek Falls trailhead.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Charley

Re: Beginning of the End?

Post by Charley » September 7th, 2015, 7:52 am

We can hope!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 7th, 2015, 9:36 am

So long as revenues from the NWFP exceed the cost of running the program I expect the FS will stick with it. They are too strapped to do otherwise.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » September 7th, 2015, 9:53 am

From wta.org
The law that enables national forests, parks and other federal land agencies to collect recreation fees is called the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, or FLREA, for short.

FLREA is up for reauthorization by the end of 2015. If it isn’t reauthorized, this critical funding source for trails and recreation will be lost. Since FLREA allows for annual passes such as the Northwest Forest and America the Beautiful passes, a new bill or extension must be passed this year to allow for continued sales of annual passes.
Link to full text at wta.org

H.R.1991 - Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act Extension Act of 2015
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 7th, 2015, 10:11 am

Some of those recreation passes, such as the Senior Interagency Pass (used to be called a Golden Eagle Pass, iirc) are a great thing for those who qualify. If it comes down to no annual or lifetime passes as the price to discontinue the NWFP, then that would be a high price. I expect the concessionaires who now run all the most popular campgrounds would love to see those passes disappear, since it cuts into their revenues.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » September 7th, 2015, 2:05 pm

$30 for a pass is so worth it. I don't understand the disdain it receives. I'd rather see them kill the St. Helens permit system.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 7th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Arturo wrote:$30 for a pass is so worth it.
Honest question... What do you feel is "worth" it? What, exactly, are you under the impression that $30 buys?
Arturo wrote:I don't understand the disdain it receives.
Well, two things... A) It wasn't all that long ago that our taxes paid for what the NWFP ostensibly provides. B) The NWFP is sold under false pretense, in that the money isn't used for what most folks believe it is.
Arturo wrote:I'd rather see them kill the St. Helens permit system.
Me too, fwiw. Fortunately, it's not an either/or proposition.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 7th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Every state has USFS land. Very few states other than Washington and Oregon require a parking fee at trailheads on USFS land. That is ridiculous and unfair. That's one reason I've always despised it. Another is that from what I've gathered, most of that $30 disappears into a general fund and does not go towards trail maintenance.

drm

Post by drm » September 7th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Here we go again. My one and only post on this thread.

The NWFP funds do not go into a general fund. They are used for various kinds of facilities at our National Forests. This includes trail maintenance, but also include bathrooms and many other kinds of facilities.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes ... ev2_026999

I do not know how funding is handled differently in places that don't have such a pass. That's a good question. Otoh, the NWFP is not the only one. There are some other regions that have similar passes.

Koda

Post by Koda » September 7th, 2015, 7:41 pm

drm wrote:The NWFP funds do not go into a general fund. They are used for various kinds of facilities at our National Forests. This includes trail maintenance, but also include bathrooms and many other kinds of facilities.
kepPNW wrote:B) The NWFP is sold under false pretense, in that the money isn't used for what most folks believe it is.

viewtopic.php?p=112209#p112209
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2